Sunday, January 04, 2009

Twirl: Special Edition

You asked, I delivered. To read what scandalous events inspired this special edition of "Twirl", go here.


Wade stared at his bleeding fist, then at the hole in the wall. His mouth opened. Before he could speak, a burly red-faced man shoved through the crowd that had gathered around them. The musicians peered down from the stage and people stood on top of the bar to see better over the crowd.

"WADE!" the burly man bellowed. "What the hell did you do to my wall?"

"I didn't do anything," Wade replied, giving his hand a bewildered stare. "I was just talking to Vivi and I leaned against it. Next thing I know, my fist is through the wall with about a billion splinters in it."

"That's a lie!" the burly man snarled. "This building is solid. It's been here since the 1800s." He narrowed his eyes and looked at Vivi. "Was he trying to pull something on you, darlin'?"

Vivi's eyes flashed and her cheeks bloomed red. "No! Wade would never do that!"

"You been drinking, Wade?" the burly man pressed on, ignoring Vivi's indignant gasp. "You know, your grandpa used to"--

"Leave him out of this!" Wade snarled, his blue eyes flashing. Vivi's throat went dry as she watched his normally serene face crease into hard lines. She had never seen him mad.

As the two men snarled and cursed at each other, a pot-bellied sheriff shoved through the crowd. "All right, all right," he yelled over the noise. "What's going on here?"

"Sheriff, I leaned against the wall and my fist went through it," Wade informed him, cutting off the burly man's attempts to speak. "I think the wood is rotten. But now Burt thinks I was intentionally trying to damage the wall. I just pulled Vivi back here to tell her something real quick, leaned against the wall and boom!"

"Why were you pulling her back here?" Burt bellowed. "This isn't a football field. Go to the front of the dancehall if you want to talk, not behind the bleachers. You were distracting the band! You're cutting into my profits!"

"You would have charged me re-admission!" Wade argued.

"That's true," the sheriff commented. "He's done it to me before.

"I've got a dancehall to run, not a charity!" Burt bellowed.

"We didn't even know they were back there," the lead guitarist interjected. "Until he went through the wall."

"It was really cool though," the drummer said with a big grin. "It happened in sync with the music." Vivi stared at him. She felt like she was in a bad Western movie. All she needed was a satin dress and some jewels--never mind, that's what saloon girls wore.

As Vivi pondered the proper dress for a proper lady in a B-movie Western, the sheriff shifted and pulled his slipping pants over his enormous stomach.

"Oh Burt, hush up," he growled as Burt continued to squawk about the wall. "You'd fuss if someone gave you a million dollars. I've known Wade since he in diapers and he's been here a million times. You know as well as I do he's the only cool headed one in his family. I think you're just trying to rope him into paying for the wall. If you would keep this place up, people wouldn't be falling through walls."

Burt's face turned purple as he huffed away, his feet slamming so hard into the wooden boards with every step that Vivi could see them bend over the pressure. Some of the crowd drifted back to the bar, and the band started to play again. Wade grabbed the sheriff's arm and pointed to the hole.

"Look, sheriff," he murmured, glancing around at the few stragglers hoping for a fight. "There's something in the wall." Vivi stepped on her tiptoes, trying to peer over the men's shoulders. All she saw was a dark hole in the wood.

The sheriff pulled a flashlight off his belt and clicked it on. Shining it over the broken wood, he peered into the dark space behind the wall.

"I'll be damned," he muttered, reaching his hand in. He pulled out a yellowed envelope. Peeking inside, he sucked in his breath. The sheriff glanced back and forth. He shoved the envelope at Wade and grabbed his shoulder.

"Do me a favor," he muttered. "Meet me at my office tomorrow around two and we'll talk about this. Right now, you got to get this out of the dance hall. See you then."

Whirling around, the sheriff plastered a smile on his face and lumbered onto the dance floor. He scooped up one the ancient town librarian and twirled her around the floor. Over her shoulder he motioned for Wade to leave. Wade nodded and grabbed Vivi's hand, clutching the envelope in his bloodied hand that had gone through the wall.

"I don't get it," she murmured in his ear as they ran out of the dance hall. "What's the big deal about an envelope? Why do we have to meet the sheriff tomorrow?"

"Dunno," Wade muttered. His grin was white and bright in the early dusk. "But we're about to find out."

To be continued....


Stay tuned, Invisible Friends! We have a busy week coming up at the Pond. We've got another Twirl, the search for Bear's moose and a brand new BBQ chicken recipe! Also, tomorrow we learn what was in the box!

29 comments:

Spring M Fricks said...

Oh that went where I didn't expect. Love it! But, I still can't wait to find out what's in the box tomorrow.

I am working on contacting Cook Publishing but that's about all I know to do. Any suggestions are appreciated.

If you want you can email me at springfl@comcast.net. If you do, I have a question for you. :-)

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Oh, Blonde Duck, you are seriously killing me with these posts. I am dying to read the rest of the story. I actually glanced at the length of the post before I started reading. Just wanted to get a sense of how much you were going to reveal to us today!

Yesterday's post re BBQ is to-die-for funny. A girl after my own heart...someone who can eat and enjoy good BBQ. Come to California so that we can hang out. :)

-Francesca

Anonymous said...

Well, that was a tease! You really didn't tell us much, just sucked us in more...GOOD JOB! LOL!
~ingrid

Bunny said...

A mystery and love story!!! Oh Miranda I hope this story never ends!!!! Maybe Wade and Vive could be like, star struck sweatheart detectives or something!!!

Pink Princess said...

AAAARRRRGGGHHH! I wanna know too.....

Lore said...

Can't wait to see what with the envelope!

~Rebecca Anne~ said...

I pretty sure I just walked into the middle of something really good, but have no idea what I've missed~~

I came by way of Marie, so here's my formal hello *wave*

Now, I'm off to explore and solve the great mystery I feel tugging inside me.

Rebecca

Jane said...

ok i'm still here and hooked you naughty girl! love your BBQ ribs they look delicious. Jane x

Michelle said...

Dying to know what that yellow envelope is!!

Anonymous said...

These remind me of those old time movie serials where they always end with a cliff-hanger. Good job keeping us hanging! ;)

Now, tell us what's in the envelope...LOL!

Chef E said...

Duckie- I have something for you in the TMI blog today... you so got me with your stories and the ribs just sent me over the edge :)

Reeni said...

You have me hanging on by a fingernail!! Is it money? A will? A deed? Don't leave us hanging too long!

Anonymous said...

And the yellow envelope is ....

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Cool! This is getting more exciting by the second! Next edition tomorrow?????? Pleeeeeze?? Of course, after they meet at the Sheriff's office...

Tatersmama said...

I just popped in to say hi and thanks for commenting on my blog... and now I'm hooked ! I can't wait to read more. :o)

SuZ said...

And????????????

I hate waiting!!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I write chick-lit, romance and historical... :)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What's in the envelope? I can't wait to find out!

I hope you had a wonderful weekend Duckie!

XOXOXOXO
Jen

Lori said...

Your killing me. I need to know whats in the box!

I just know your lovin this!

Shorty said...

Great site! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for commenting. I hope you'll be back soon! Have a great week!

Dee said...

The proper dress for a proper lady in a B-movie Western... the man who hates Christmas and loves gravy... LOL :) you crack me up, BD!

Happy 2009, my friend. I hope you have a fabulous year ahead!

Calamity Cookie said...

Looking forward to the next instalment:)

Paula said...

Oh man ... I don't do well with waiting! ARG! What's in the envelope??? Must stay calm, must stay calm! :-)

Pam said...

Oh man Duckie...what's in the envelope???

Marie Rayner said...

Oh grrr . . . I can't wait to see what's in the envelope! You are the master cliff hanger my sweet friend! I am looking forward to seeing what's in the box tommorrow!! It's taken forever for you to tell us it seems! Or possibly I am just impatient!!! Love you loads my friend! XXOO

ARTISANNE DESIGN said...

Aaaargh whats in the envelope???!!! :0)

Unknown said...

Wonderful! You really are doing a great job of keeping up the suspense in this story. I can't wait for the next one.

Anonymous said...

"...screamed so loud Ben thought zombies had burst through the patio..."
This made me laugh so hard I almost cried. You crack me up!

Lilly said...

LOL you are good, very good. We are going fom one cliff edge to the next. Brilliant!!!

I cannot wait to see whats in the envelope - one more sleep....

Cakelaw said...

What the ... what's inthe envelope? I gotta know!