Sunday, January 18, 2009

Candy Animals 2 and Awards for All



When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

And then turn it into an award to share with fabulous Invisible Friends!



My dear friend Marie gave me this fabulous award last week, and I can't help passing it on. Marie is a fabulous artist and cook. If I ever get enough saved up to go to England, I'm going to go visit her. She'll have to extract me from her cottage with the jaws of death, because I'll probably eat myself stupid on her good food and forget all about running and kickboxing.

The rules state:

1. Put the logo on your blog or post.
2. Nominate at least 10 blogs which show GREAT ATTITUDE &/or GRATITUDE!
3. Be sure to link your nominees within your post.
4. Let them know that they have received this award by commenting on their blog.
5. Share the love & link to this post & to the person from who you received your award.

And the winners are:

1) Blue Violet

2) Jiggety Jigg

3) Kristina

4) Francesca

5) Molly

6) Kristen

7) Pam

8) Cakelaw

9) Lorraine

10) Katherine





In addition, Bee and Rose, Shalee and Debra all saw fit to give me the Honest Scrap award. It was so kind of you girls to think of me! If ya'll haven't had the pleasure of meeting these fine ladies, click on their blogs right away and check them out. They're fabulous.

The rules state:

1) List ten honest things about yourself, and make it interesting!

2) Pass the award on to seven bloggers you feel embody the spirit of the honest scrap.

Honestly, I can't imagine what else you would want to know about me after my confessions Friday.

But for my Invisible Friends, I'll do anything. I'll give you seven new tidbits about me, one for each award winner.

1) I really don't like weddings. I saw so many girls get married for the wrong reasons in college that the idea of going to a big white wedding makes me want to pluck my eyes out. But I always wind up there anyway.



2) I dance in public places. Wal-Mart, a parking lot, fancy restaurant...you can't take me anywhere.



3) I talk to everyone. And everything.

4) Amusement parks and loud, crowded places make me really nervous. Usually I have to leave because I have trouble breathing.

5) One day, Ben and I want to start a rescue center for stray dogs.




6) I'm very curious.



7) And just for you, another wedding picture.

And the winners are:

1) Theresa

2) Maki

3) The Rambler

4) Lucy

5) Natalia

6) Dee

7) Esi

In addition, the darling Bee and Rose also tagged me with a photo tag.

The rules are:

1. Go to the 4th folder in your photo files on your computer.

2. Find the 4th photo in that folder.

3. Explain the photo.

4. Tag 4 people to do the same.




This was taken when I was in college. My friend Val (center) from high school was getting married and I was her maid of honor. This was a test shot so she could choose the dress I was to wear. Ben and I had been living in the Pond for about a month, so I missed the official fitting.

I ended up wearing the one I'm wearing.

I tag:

1) Marie

2) Linda

3) Abby

4) Illegally Blond

And now, for Candy Animals...For the previous edition, go here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What is it?" Bubbles cried. He and Sasperilla leaped on to the end of Callie's spoon and hurried over to join George Hambleton Leafton the Third at the bottom of the hutch. Squatting down, Callie held the spoon over the drawer so they could peer into it.

"I don't see a thing," Sasperilla complained, peering into the drawer. "All I see is dust."

"And dead bugs," Bubbles pointed out, bubbles streaming out of his nose in disapproval.

George Hambleton Leafton the Third stretched his long caramel neck out and shook his head in disapproval. He tugged the drawer open wider, revealing delicate porcelain cups. Peeking around the corner of the cups was a bird. The other animals stepped back in shock.

"What is it?" Bubbles cried, bubbles filling the air.

"It's a bird!" Callie cried.

"It's moving!" Sasperilla shouted. "It's alive."

"It's an enchanted napkin ring,"
George Hambleton Leafton the Third snapped. He leaned his head down towards the bird. Peering closer, Callie saw the cranky caramel giraffe was correct. A long silver bird with blackened feathers etched into his back blinked up at her. It's wings tapered down into a steep curl that nearly connected with it's long feet. With it's wings plastered to its sides, it could merely blink and cock its head up at them.

"Why, it can't fly!" Sasperilla cried. "How terrible! We must help him!"

"How?" Bubbles asked, hiccuping as a bubble caught in his throat.

"Are you the only one?"
George Hambleton Leafton the Third asked the bird gently. The bird nodded, tucking it's beak under it's wing in shame. It motioned to the other dishes, all which were chipped slightly, the edges yellowed with years of washing and poor care.

"Poor little thing was separated from it's set,"
George Hambleton Leafton the Third muttered, his face creased in concern.

"How can we make him fly?" Bubbles asked.

George Hambleton Leafton the Third shrugged. "The only way to make him fly is to make him happy enough to fly. And after living in a drawer in the dark for so long, I'm not quite sure what would make him happy." The animals all hung their heads. The bird shuffled in the drawer, ashamed at being an object of pity.

"A tea party," Callie exclaimed suddenly, her head snapping up. "We shall have a tea party! He can be the guest of honor! Would you like that?" she asked the bird. The bird's silver head bobbed up and down, and his beak popped open in delight.

"Then a tea party it is!"
George Hambleton Leafton the Third declared.

The animals sprung into action. Sasperilla made her famous seaweed tea while Callie whipped up some tasty cakes and mini pies. Bubbles entertained the bird by making bubblegum animals while George Hambleton Leafton the Third set the table and wiped off the dishes. They spent the morning dining on chocolate and caramel cakes with rich butter cream frosting, and apple pies with crumbly toppings. The table was full of laughter and vivacious chatter, with plenty of teasing and kind jokes.

The smile on the bird's face grew greater and greater. A shot rang out through the air. Without warning, he shot into the sky, his wings creaking as they flapped back and forth in the air.


"He's flying!" Bubbles cried as pink bubbles surrounded the bird.

"Hooray!" Sasperilla cried.

Even George Hambleton Leafton the Third seemed pleased. He leaned over to Callie and nodded his caramel head. "Thank you for making our new flying friend better, Callie," he replied. "It was a fabulous tea party. It's a shame you start school soon."

The bird in the air trembled, and all the animals lost their smiles. Callie beamed. "Don't worry," she replied. "There's plenty of time on the weekends for tea parties."

And that was a perfect reason for more cake.

Stay tuned, Invisible Friends! Tomorrow we have a new edition of the Gift, followed by a week of whimsical fun! We have a new recipe, a statement from Bear, a date with the Fuzzy Duck and Rubber Chicken and of course, a new Twirl! Stay tuned!

40 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Thank you so much! You are so sweet!

Cassie said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I don't like weddings either, and....I've been in the wedding industry for 20 years! I always want to tell the brides, "save your money for a kick butt honeymoon or furniture, and get married in a park wearing your Sunday best!".

I chuckled at the post down below where you said you celebrate your birthday for a month. I'm the same way! I start reminding my family about way to early!!

The Rambler said...

YOU are too kind :)

I love that you wanna open a rescue for stray dogs, one day!

I don't get nervous in loud and crowded areas...I just get really annoyed :) and leave to find a peaceful place to be! Although Disneyland is the exception...I turn like 10 all over again when I get within 100 yards of the place!

I LOVED your wedding photo. Purdy!! :)

Maki said...

Aw thank you so much Sweetie!!!! Lovely photos!!

I am the same way - I dance and sing everywhere and anywhere. I talk to people that I don't know, but crowded place (depends on the situation) makes me nerouvs...

You have gorgeous smile - I love it!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the award!! I love the pic of you peering into the window. I wish I had your talent of being able to talk to everyone/thing.

I can't keep all the characters of this story straight, but it delights me nonetheless. :)

Lori said...

I talk to everyone too.

Some people just look at me like I am crazy (those would be the typical Northeners) and some people talk to me as well (those would be the nice people and Southerners).

When I lived in SC. I was amazed at how much and how many people would talk to me. SO friendly!

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Duckie Dah-ling!
Thank you for the shout out today! I have received many charming visitors from your delightful digs today! I appreciate your support!

Beautiful wedding picture! Oh, I think it's cool that you talk to cows...

Big Hug!
dawn

Linda said...

I talk to anyone and everyone too and I think I've at least pranced through Wally-World ;)

Heather said...

i love all the pictures, and i hear ya on loud crowded spaces. i just totally freak out and have to leave, too.

i love that you dance whenever, wherever. i need to start doing more of that :)

i'm still waiting to hear why you got married at 21! i always wanted to get married young, too. (guess i wasn't that old - 24). but 21! i can't imagine doing it while still in college. your wedding sounds perfect with the ribs! nick and i wanted elope to Italy, but my MIL flipped her lid, and we ended up having the pretty traditional wedding. it wasn't what i wanted, but i got a pretty good husband out of it ;) and, it kept the peace ;)

Marie Rayner said...

yayyy!!! I am so glad that the bird found it's ability to fly and all ended well, and with cake!! Congrats on your awards. Well deserved! Thanks for the tag!! I'll try to remember to do it, but you may have to remind me! Must dash Larkrise to Candleford is about to start!! (My stove died today *sniff *sniff I am in mourning . . . )

3 Bay B Chicks said...

An award. How lovely of you to think of us. Thank you.

I read your most recent comment on our blog this morning. Thanks for saying that you agree. I am very glad to know that the Blonde Duck agrees with our follower philosophy. Numbers aren't everything, people. If you write, and write well, they will come!

-Francesca

3 Bay B Chicks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
3 Bay B Chicks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lucy..♥ said...

Thank you!!! I too talk to everyone, but don't like finding myself in crowds either...!!!

Megan said...

Congrats on all your fun awards! =)

Reeni said...

Your wedding picture is so gorgeous!! Very cute story!!

Anonymous said...

Oooh thankyou so much Duckie! That's wonderful, I feel so honoured :) That's a good enough reason to not like weddings. Your wedding photos however are gorgeous!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Funny memes!
I'm not keen on weedings and crowded places either. And I think it's awesome the dog shelter idea!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Funny memes!
I'm not keen on weedings and crowded places either. And I think it's awesome the dog shelter idea!

Terra said...

Thanks for stopping by, it was nice to hop over and meet you! I look forward to reading more! I too want to be published not novels though...a childrens writer am I??? Maybe someday.

Navita (Gupta) Hakim said...

Congratulations dear!Well played. ;p

Esi said...

Thank you for the award!! Have a great rest of your weekend :)

Paula said...

Love all the pics in this post. Plus, it was fun getting to know a little more about the writer of Twirl! Hope you had a great weekend!

Grammy Staffy said...

Congrats my dear on the lovely awards.... well deserved.

Congrats too to those that you passed them on to.

I am dying to go to England and meet Marie too. Lets go together... that way I could enjoy your wonderful company and you could tell me stories all the way over the pond. It sounds good to me.

Have a good week. Hugs, Grammy Lura

Lora said...

What a fun blog you have! I could probably stay here for hours. Thanks for stopping by my little spot :)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Hi Duckie! Congratulations on the awards - you deserve them! I have an award for you on my blog too!

XOXOXOX
Jen

TuTu's Bliss said...

LOL I love that your other groupies have great taste, just like me. Too bad they beat me to the award. I can think of no better blog to win it 1000x over! Hugs, Jen

Cakelaw said...

Aaahhh, any excuse for more cake is a good 'un in my view. Congrats on all of the awards, and thanks for giving me an award! Much appreciated.

Cakelaw said...

BTW, I love the fact that you dance everywhere - we'd all be happier if we did it.

A Friendly Reader Only said...

Thanks for sharing your honesty!!
Enjoyed your photos to go along with them. Thanks for stopping by -
I will be back by also. :)

natalia said...

Thank you for your prize ! I' so honoured ! Grazie mille !

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Thank you for the award, you are too sweet to me and I appreciate it! Miranda, as talented as you are, you will go far and I hope you and Ben can start your animal shelter...just don't hire my oldest daughter to work there. She will dress all of the dogs in costumes. Seriously, I know you will achieve your goals!

Jenni said...

COngrats on your awards and thank you for passing one on to me!

I don't like weddings either. And don't even get me started on showers...

Unknown said...

Congrats on your awards! I love the interesting tidbits you revealed.

Michele said...

Hi! That was the cutest post!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the award! You're too sweet.

And we like dancing in public too! I must admit you're a tad more curious than I am though...lol

I don't see how you can move from one story to the other without getting mixed up. I am so not a multi-tasker. You rock!

Grace said...

Thank you so much! Your post always make my day!

Aubrey said...

Congrats on your awards!

I had to laugh at your dancing comment. I love dancing in the car, especially when my teen son is with me! LOL

Eli's Lids said...

I'm doing a wedding linky on the 27th!! Would love it if you joined with one of your awesome posts!!
http://elislids.blogspot.com/

April said...

Thanks for sharing some of yourself and thanks for the tag!!

The PB cookies will hold together w/o flour. I am guessing that the stickiness of the PB and the egg. You should try them, they are yummy!