Thursday, January 15, 2009

Comfort in the Pond: Chicken Pot Pie and Oatmeal Raisin Cookies



You're all familiar with my attempts to re-create the world's best chicken pot pie from Alaska.



And before we get started, I have a confession. Mom and Mama K, I know you both bought me gorgeous ramekins for Christmas. But I just couldn't help myself. Ice cream dessert bowls and mini-chicken pot pies just seem to go together. Don't kill me.

Moving on.

Although most of my fabulous Invisible Friends think I spend my life inhaling pie and ripping meat off of ribs, I do attempt to eat healthy. Poor Ben is trying to eat healthy, and I keep making cinnamon rolls.

So I decided to throw him a pie, instead of a meat bone. A delicious, low-fat chicken pot pie.



That's right. Low Fat Chicken Pot Pie.

I got this recipe from Taste of Home: Healthy cooking Dec/ Jan issue.

And it's nice and simple. And low-fat. Did I mention that?



You simply make a roux, cook tasty chicken and vegetables...



And roll out a low-fat crust to top them.



Pop them in the oven for 20 minutes and you have four yummy pot pies at 443 calories each.

Just in case you were wondering--it's good. It's really good. Creamy, rich but not too rich and pure comfort.




And since we have all those calories left over...



We can have a cookie. Or two. Or ten.


I'm just trying to keep it balanced, ya'll.




Taste of Home: Healthy Cooking Chicken Pot Pie

1 cup plus 2 tblspns all purpose flour, divided
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3 tblspn. cold butter divided
2 tblspn buttermilk
1 tblspn canola oil
1 to 2 tblspn cold water
4 medium carrots sliced
3 celery ribs sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
2/3 cup fat free milk
2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
1 cup frozen peas
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 egg white

1) Combine 3/4 cup flour, baking powder, salt. Cut in 2 tblspn butter until crumbly. Add buttermilk and oil, toss with fork. Gradually add water, tossing with fork until dough forms ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

2) For filling, melt butter in large skillet. Stir in carrots, celery and onion and cook until crisp-tender. In small bowl, combine flower with broth and milk until smooth. Stir into veggie mixture. Bring to boil. Cook and stir for 2 min. or until thickened. Stir in chicken, peas and pepper. Transfer to four 16 oz. ramekins and set aside.

3) Divide dough into four portions. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough to fit ramekins. Place dough over mixture, trim and seal edges. Cut decorative center or cut slits in pastry. Brush with egg white.

4) Place ramekins on baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until crusts are golden brown.



Ben's Oatmeal Cookie Recipe

(He consented to give it to you, dear Invisible Friends. But in return, Ben demands all positive feelings, good things, promotions, Porches and lottery winnings that come as result of his culinary creation of these cookies are subject to his "cut." Yes, he really said that.)

1 stick butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups oatmeal
2 small boxes raisins. (About a cup to 3/4 cup)

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2) Melt butter and stir with sugar in bowl.

3) Add egg and vanilla.

4) Add cinnamon, salt, baking soda and flour.

5) Stir in oatmeal and raisins.

6) When mixed thoroughly, scoop out golf-ball sized balls on greased baking sheet.

7) Bake 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees. Don't worry if they look gooey; they'll set.





But if you bake these, beware....

Stay tuned, Invisible Friends! Tomorrow we have the Blond Duck Confessions!! Get ready to learn things you would have never guessed about me! Saturday, we have the second part of candy animals and Sunday, a special edition of TWIRL! And yes, you'll really learn what's in the envelope and who the Dance Hall Dreamers are.

56 comments:

Mary Ann said...

What a great recipe and how fun to make individual ones in those cute little bowls! I love that eating healthy makes you sure you have a little room left for dessert!

Marie Reed said...

Scrummy! have you sent this to the sits recipe site?

Marie Reed said...

I am following you now too:)

3 Bay B Chicks said...

I come by your site today to get my daily dose of the pond and I see that we have been added to your blogroll. What fun! Thank you. We are lucky to be in such good company.

And, the chicken pot pie recipe, forget about it! I can't wait to make this for my family. Low cal and so scrumptous looking. It doesn't get much better than this.

-Francesca

PS: Would love to see the YouTube video of the crazy weather man if you have a chance. :)

Christo Gonzales said...

you make the best pot pies and now I am going to try your recipe to see if it works for me....

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I like how these look and sound. The best part is, everyone gets their own and getting equal shares of pie crust is important at our table.

I love oatmeal cookies with raisins. Tell Benn thanks!

Finla said...

Wish i ahd those pot pies now.
Looks so yummy delicious.

April said...

These look great! Bookmarking these babies!

Theresa said...

I'm going to try these, since I have the low calorie thing going on. And I see the steeling bunny got his share!! He gave me a laugh as usual :)

Unknown said...

Mmmm... I love chicken pot pie. :) It looks delish.

KeKe said...

You're making me very hungry!! lol

Xo Kely

Sara said...

Both of these recipes look great! I have a low fat chicken pot pie recipe from Cooking Light that I make with a phyllo topping.

Belle said...

I love your site and I love your philosophy on life. About those chicken pies... have you ever been to England. I'll pay for your ticket if you bake all day every day for me.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Thanks for the yummilicious chicken pot pie recipe! Dinner will be easy peasy tonight! Glad I stopped by!

Kristina P. said...

I haven't had chicken pot pie in ages, but I love it! That looks delicious!

Stephanie said...

YUM! I soooo want to try the chicken pot pie recipe!!! OH and I Lovvvvvvvvve cookies! lol

Debbie said...

Great looking recipes. I wish I had them both right now because I am freezing and hot food sounds might good.

Chronicles of Dolliedaydream said...

Ooh I could just do with one of those cookies now with a cup of rosey lee x

Decor To Adore said...

I love Chicken Pot Pie! Is that your rabbit stealing a cookie? Too cute! But beware bunny o~ you might end up in the next pot pie. :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

LOL! Ben is pretty darn cool too!

So you're reeeeallllly going to tell us? Or just give us another tease of what might be in that there envelope? :-)
~ingrid

Maria said...

I just entered comfort zone! It is a great place to be! Thanks!

Chef E said...

All that looks good you...and funny I love oatmeal cookies, or two, or ten too...but I cannot make them for the life of me??? They come out like cake no matter what I do...You can get saffron at a health food store or whole foods, or is there a Central Market, you know HEB store around you?

My hubby loves the inside of the pot pie, but will not eat crust...and that really is Chicken Fricassee! Men...

Small House said...

Good food, always makes my day. And I always love your rabbit. Your blog Yesterday was great too. You always make me laugh.
I wonder Always fun!!!
Thanks-Sandra

Anonymous said...

Phew, good thing I don't like raisin cookies or I'd be held hostage to Ben's demands...LOL!

I do love pot pies though...might have to do these next week.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Hi Duckie!
Yummmm, chicken pot pie! I love that you used individual ramekins! I almost bought some of those the other day but talked myself out of it. I have a friend who loves to use those and makes all sorts of things in them.

It looks delicious and cookies too! I will try your recipe out! Maybe tonight?

Thanks for the visual delight! I am drooling!!!

Jen

{leah} said...

Thank you for planning dinner for me!!

Pam said...

I am going to make this. I am craving comfort food but want to eat healthy - perfect recipe for me.

Colleen said...

Comfort food AND low fat?! Perfect!

Marjie said...

I love the cute little bowls. And tell Ben that if he makes our Invisible Friend Duckie happy, that's close enough to perfect for me. Diet every other day! And thanks for sharing the cookie recipe, but I think it'll be just ugly for all of us if I send him half of my kitchen floor.

Pennies In My Pocket said...

Can't wait for the confessions! :)

OK, I'm bookmarking this post...I need to make that pot pie! Oh and the cookies, too! ;-)

~melody~

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

I was wondering when that bunny was going to come and take a cookie.

Reeni said...

The pot pies are so yummy!!! And cookies, cookies, too, yummy!!! I can't wait to read all of your confessions, straight from your secret diary, right?!!

Diana said...

I normally use my ramekins for ice cream, but maybe I will try some pot pie in one instead! Where did you find the low fat pie crust?

Emma Sanders said...

I love Chicken Pot Pie! That would be a perfect dish for tonight.

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Very pleased to discover yours and the great potpie recipe. I LOVE Chicken Potpie!!

Jessica said...

I love chicken pot pie! It's about 4 degrees here right now, and that sounds like such a good meal to warm me and my husband up...I planned to make homemade mac and cheese tonight, but I think you have inspired me to make some chicken pot pie this weekend sometime since it's supposed to be this cold or colder until Saturday!

A Friendly Reader Only said...

The pot pies look scrumptous!! Yes I will gladly take 10 cookies Oh I mean 2 (sneaking more). Thanks for making me hungry - Time to get to cooking - oh wait now I have to go to the grocery store - again.

Calamity Cookie said...

Those ice-cream bowls are cute

Ah yes, I think i need to start eating low-fat foods. Those pies look delicious.

Jan said...

Mmmmm! Your pot pies look scrummy.

Givinya De Elba said...

Thankyou for stopping by from SITS! I haven't had much to blog about recently, so it's been a bit slow on "Killing A Fly."

Anonymous said...

I'm making that this weekend...I am, I am, I am. Thank you!

Molly said...

What fabulous food!

vsm/whirling dirvish photography said...

Well Heavens to Betsy... I finally found myself another Texas blogalicious blogger....
Recipe sounds delish!
Luuurrrve your spot!

Anonymous said...

This looks and sounds so yummy! Thank you so much for the recipe - I love anything from Taste of Home. Thank you Ben for the recipe - my 12 year old loves this type of cookie - I'll definitely try both recipes

I'm heading out of town Saturday for several days and I can't wait to see what you post this weekend - I read your hints of what you'll be posting so I look forward to reading this when I return

Navita (Gupta) Hakim said...

he he he....love the pic where the softie doggie is eating the cookie...
love the raisins..yum

Aubrey said...

YUM! You know I am all about healthy cooking right now. And pot pie....delish!
Thanks to the both of you for sharing!

Maki said...

Oh my goodness, tthey look sooo delish!!!

Thank you so much for stopping by and supporting my big day yesterday.

Stay in touch!

Elizabeth said...

Yum! I want some pot pie!! :)

Marie Rayner said...

Low fat is good and those look yummy. I think the bowls are so sweet and definitely suited to a low fat chicken pot pie!! Oh, and I'm all for making up the difference in calories by eating cookies. Why else eat low fat?? Happy Friday dear friend! XXOO

love said...

Yes I am sure going to try that chicken pot pie it looks real good at midnight!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I love the sweet bowls and the cookies!

Michelle said...

Oh yum, yum! This will give me an excuse to buy those cute little pot pie tureens, bowls..whatever you call them. ;)

Cakelaw said...

Hey, the pot pies look great in the icecream dishes - perfect as is. The pot pies sound great, but I am hankering after those oatmeal and raisin cookies - yum!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the all the great answers (some serious and some hilarious). It was fun to get to know you better! Great favorite pictures by the way. :)

Erica said...

hahahhahahhahahahahhaha this post totally cracked me up. I love all the photos! My favorite is the one of you in the Christmas tree skirt. I may steal your idea and ask my readers if they have any questisons for me- if thats ok! BTW somehow I knew ribs would be in your top three meals

grace said...

call something a pie and i'm all over it like white on rice. (now that i think about it, that's a silly phrase--not all rice is white. hmm.) i like your lighter version, and i like your little bowls. :)