Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Twirling


Have any of you seen "The Holiday" with Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz?

(heads bob)



Have you seen the part where Jude Law tells Cameron Diaz in his cute bumbling way why he can't date her and then says, "You're lovely."

Well, dear Rachel Ann thinks I'm lovely. And I think you're all lovely. But I can only give this to seven of you.

Actually, I can't do it. I give it to all of you. Seriously. Because you're all lovely and you all make my life so much better. I love reading through your comments. My favorite ones are when you tell me I've made you smile or made your day. My toes tingle, my heart flutters and my cheeks turn pink. The fact that my idiotic ramblings can make you giggle only encourages me. Because honestly, all I want to do is make you all happy.

So please, if you visit today, give yourself this award. I'm not being lazy. I simply can't choose.

In other news.... (I know you want to know what's in the envelope Wade's got! I'm getting there.)

Don't forget about the Blond Duck Confessions! Whether you want to know what my favorite breakfast is or what my workout routine is, ask away! You can ask me what the ending of Twirl is, questions about the Gift or why the cookie stealing bunny has a secret guilty pleasure for tacos. I'll tell you anything you want to know.

Just leave your question in the comments--only two more days for questions!

Have you read the previous Twirl?

No? Well go
here.

And to catch up even further, check
here and here.

Or
e-mail me for all the text so far and you can get your own work-in-progress copy of Twirl!


And now, for the rest of the story. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Swept in a tornado of rage, Vivi tore around her room. She shook her dance bag empty and ripped several shirts off hangers trembling in her closet. Grabbing a handful of folded jeans and pants, she yanked them off a shelf lined with carefully folded garments.

As she filled another bag with dance clothes and shoes, a shy hand knocked against the door.



"Go away," Vivi snarled.

"Vivi, darling..." the weak voice trailed off. "Please." '

Gritting her teeth, Vivi jerked the door open. Her mother simpered, her head bowed under a curtain of greasy hair. The color, once as brilliant as Vivi's own strawberry blond hair, had darkened to a dull auburn streaked with grey.

Vivi knew from photos her mother had once been extraordinary--a gorgeous actress who had captured the breath of thousands by simply walking on stage. But something had happened when she was very small. It was like one day her mother had simply been switched off, and she had withdrawn deeper and deeper into herself ever since.
And no one would tell Vivi what happened. It was the greatest dance of her life. A new sense of rage filled her as her mother cowed in the doorway.

"What?" Vivi snapped.

Her mother ducked her head and Vivi was flooded with remorse. She shouldn't yell at her mother like this. She really didn't want to. She was just so angry and frustrated.


"Please don't be angry with your father and I, Vivi darling," her mother said, a whisper of her normal voice remaining in the quiet words. "We're simply worried about your future. The entertainment world is a hard one..."


"Why don't you want me to go to college like a normal parent?" Vivi asked, leaning against the door. It was all she could do to keep her voice level. She had to remind herself to treat her mother like a tiny puppy--keep her voice calm and soft, and don't make any sudden movements.


"You have a talent that should not be wasted," her mother repeated what Vivi's father had told her since she was two. "You're one of the best dancers today, darling."


"Then why don't we live in New York or Europe?" Vivi asked. "Why am I not training with the best?" It was an old argument, one her mother was happy to follow. There was comfort in redundancy, Vivi thought bitterly.

"Your father is not welcomed in those arenas," her mother replied diplomatically. "That's why you must work harder. To prove yourself over his mistakes."

Vivi's eyes flashed. "What mistakes?"
Her mother bowed her head, her voice so low Vivi could barely hear it. "You know I can't tell you, Vivi. It's your father's wishes"--

"What mistake, mother?" Vivi repeated, her voice biting. "Is Mrs. Angelson involved?"

Vivi's mother's head jerked and Vivi pounced. "Tell me, Mom," she said, grabbing her mother's hand. "I have a right to know. This is my life you're all directing. Tell me why it's so important that I dance. Tell me why it's so important I do this competition. Tell me why."


Vivi's mother raised her head and Vivi started at the anguish in her eyes. With tears streaming down her cheeks, her mother shook her head. "I can't," she whispered.
And then she crept down the stairs like they had never spoken at all.

Vivi bit her lip. With renewed purpose, she resumed packing. She pulled her cell phone out of her purse.


"Susanna?" she whispered into the phone. "Can I stay with you tonight?"

The next day, Vivi drove out to the old dance hall. She'd barely had any sleep, but at least she'd had a shower at Susanna's house. Her mother had fussed over her, thrilled to have more children in the house. As the baby of a seven child family, her mother obviously loved to fuss over children, no matter who they belonged to.

Wearing a bright blue sundress that made her green eyes look teal and her hair shine, Vivi paced nervously around the front of the dancehall. She was meeting Wade's grandfather tonight, and she had no idea what to expect.
She heard the roar of Wade's truck's diesel engine before she saw his blinding smile. He pulled the car into park and climbed out of the truck.

"What are you doing?" Vivi asked. "Aren't we supposed to meet the sheriff at his office?"
Wade shook his head.

"He called this morning. He asked to meet us here instead for lunch. I'm not sure why," he said in response to Vivi's expression. "Something has him nervous. He's jumpier than a jackrabbit."


"Maybe we just got a ton of money," Vivi teased. A familiar pleasant shiver ran down her spine as he enfolded her tiny hand in his large rough one.


"If that's the case, I'd take you to the most beautiful place in the world every night," Wade answered. He helped Vivi up the rickety steps and brushed her hand against his lips.


"And where would that be?" Vivi asked, tossing her curls behind her shoulders. She smiled as his blue eyes twinkled down at her.

"Right here," Wade grinned, pulling the door open. "The best dancehall in Texas with the best chicken fry and pie you could ever find!"


Vivi giggled as they made their way to the back of the restaurant. The sheriff was squatting in a dark corner, jumping as every waitress walked by. He was huddled over clutching something to his chest and peering at everyone around him with narrowed eyes. Vivi raised an eyebrow, but said nothing. The poor man probably doesn't get much excitement, she thought with an amused smile. This is the most adventure he's had in years, most likely.

"Vivi!" a voice bellowed. The sheriff threw himself against the table. Vivi turned to see Hilda waving at her from the bar.

"What do you and Wade want?" Wade looked at Vivi.


"Just a turkey sandwich and a salad," Vivi told him.

"She'll have a turkey sandwich, some chips and some pecan pie," Wade yelled. He looked at Vivi. "You don't want the salad here. Trust me." He turned and yelled towards the back. "I'll have a cheeseburger with fries and a vanilla milkshake."

"Brisket is better," Hilda yelled back.


"Then fix me up some of that instead," Wade called. "You know what sides I like." He looked at the sheriff, who was patting his forehead with a bandanna. "Sheriff, what do you want?"

"I'm not here," the sheriff hissed, looking around furtively. "Don't say my name."

"What's the sheriff want?" Hilda bellowed.
Wade tried not to laugh as the sheriff huddled deeper into the corner, hiding his face behind his hand.

"Brisket plate," he muttered.
"Brisket plate," Wade yelled.

"Coming up!" Hilda crashed into the back of the kitchen, obviously delighted with their orders. "Now sheriff," Wade asked as he pulled out Vivi's chair, "What is wrong with you? You're acting like someone in a spy movie."

The sheriff glared at him. "And I've got good reason to. You have no idea what was in that envelope you found."

"Then tell us!" Vivi burst out. She glared at the sheriff as he glared at her. "I'm tired of waiting. I want to know what it is!" The sheriff leaned down so his chin was an inch above the table. He looked to his left. He looked to his right. He glanced at the doorway and bar.

"Have you ever heard of the Dancehall Dreamers?" he whispered.

To be continued.....

Stay tuned, Invisible Friends! We have low-fat chicken pot pie tomorrow and Confessions of the Blond Duck Friday!

51 comments:

Kati said...

I love the story... did you write it?!

Marie Rayner said...

Oh grrrr....you always leave us hanging Duckie!!! That's the mark of a master story teller, leave em wanting more!! I was soooo into that and then you cut us off! Naughty girl! Mmmmm...even the food sounds good. (Can you tell I haven't had lunch yet!) Looking forward to your other goodies this week, and of course finding out what was in the envelope!! XXOO Hope you're having a duckie doodlie day!

Megan said...

Hi back at you! Thanks for the visit to my blog - you are quite the storyteller, very impressive.

And the dogs! Well, we are big dog lovers, my daughter wants a Chihuahua so badly.

I'll be checking back for more on the story!

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Love the story, Duckie!! Gotta come back for more! Thanks for the lurky lurky! I am now a crazed fan! hee hee hee

Have a lovely day!
dawn

Cate said...

Oh I loved that movie, which reminds me I loaned it out ... time to go collect. :)

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Jude Law, Mr. Napkin Head...Sigh...what can I say. I watch that movie over and over again.

You big tease, I thought we'd find out what was in the letter today!

;-) I still love ya!

~~louise~~ said...

Visiting is always such a delight duckie. Even if you do leave us hanging on:) I need one of those cookies you have stashed. I know you have them. Wait! is the recipe in the envelope? Of course not. Please tell, please!

Feeling slightly better today. Thanks for asking...

Shell in your Pocket said...

I love that movie..it was great!
-sandy toe
congrats on your award:)!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

You're just not right!

I thought the Mom was gonna cave and fuss up to the Dad's secret.

C'mon on don't make us wait a week. How about another special edition this weekend? Pretty Please with bbq sauce on top and a side of ribs? LOL!
~ingrid

Unknown said...

Congrats on your blog award! I alwasy appreciate your sweet comments on my blog! I am in love with the Holiday! Jude makes me swoon!

Bunny said...

I love this! You are one heck of a writer you know that!!

Marjie said...

Her Daddy was a Dancehall Dreamer? Or were they a front organization for the CIA? Suspense!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the award! LOL...I never could choose recipients either. :}

I can't wait to hear what happened to Vivi's mom, actually; make sure you tell us one day.

Kristina P. said...

You totally deserve this award!

I can barely come up with 2 blog posts a week, let alone an entire story!

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

The edge of my seat is biting into my ample rear. Maybe that's incentive to keep dieting. Keep writing, Duckie! I love Twirl!

Unknown said...

Ahh, answering questions with more questions. Nicely done.

Whitney said...

Thanks for commenting back on my blog! I like to write fiction. It's so much fun to create your own little world and see what type of people your characters develop into. You're a hoot!

Whitney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam said...

Girl...you have got to stop leaving us hanging like that.

The Shabby Princess said...

Ohh, I love, I love, I love!!

Michelle said...

Oh, you are a blogger who likes to tease and leaving us hanging!!!! :)

Cathy said...

Ugh! You leave us hanging again, Duckie. Better not make us wait too long!

Lo said...

You're the sweetest... glad to see that the writing is coming along.
Nice cliff hanger there, girlie!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Oh you and your cliffhangers!!!

I was reminded a little bit of the movie "Center Stage" where that one character's mother was pushing her daughter to become a dancer because she herself had failed at it. The girl was a brilliant dancer, but the pressure was making her bulimic - but she did have a great boyfriend.

Pennies In My Pocket said...

Don't leave me hangin' like that!;-)

Oh and I haven't seen The Holiday and I'm thinking I want to.

~melody~

Rachel said...

Can't wait for the low chicken pot pie.

Love the story.

natalia said...

ciao ! thank you !

Jennifer said...

What is twirl? you have peaked my curiosity!

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting. Love your story. I'll have to come back and check it out more.

Posh Peach said...

Hi, I am in fact a dancer and love love dance!! How awesome that you do too! Is this your story? I love it! I am hoping to start writing a children's book sometime.

nikkicrumpet said...

You are such a meanie!!! you always leave us in the best part!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the visit.
I will be back too.
XO, Nina

Reeni said...

Now listen here blond little duck, you were supposed to spill the beans... you always leave us wanting, begging for more...

Barbara Bakes said...

I'm going to put that movie on my Netflix list. It sounds lovely!

Erica said...

haha you're too funny :) What a sweet award. I hope you are enjoying your din din. Sounds yummy- I need to get to cooking! Have a fabulous night bud!

Jenni said...

I love that movie! Congrats on your lovely award, Lovely!

Diana said...

Ohh I forgot about that movie! (The Holiday!) While I do think that Jude and Cameron are okay, I found the bits with Jack Black and Kate Winslet to be much much lovelier!

So now that we are on the subject of movies... what is your favorite movie?

Calamity Cookie said...

Congrats on your award - its so pretty.

I've been thinking about what could be in that envelope all week and now I have to wait to find out more! haha.

I have two more questions for ya:
1) What is your ultimate holiday destination?
2)What is your all time fav movie?

Free Art Printables said...

What a great story! Congrats on the award!

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

Interesting story, and nice dialog. You ended a sentence with a preposition, though, so drop and give me fifty.
Well, you do post cute pictures, make it twenty-five.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Hi dear Duckie! Oh, I love that Holiday movie - so cute! I think YOU are lovely and I am so happy to have met you and to be part of your invisible world!!!

I can't wait for the next installment of this story. This is my favorite one so far!!!

I hope you are having a really nice day!

XOXOXOXOXO
jen

Jessica said...

The holiday is my absolute favorite movie!

Jan said...

You do it every time, Duckie, keep that tension building - great job.

You have a couple of misplaced modifiers in here, but I won't beat you up over them. :-)

Congrats on your award.

Anonymous said...

Awww no, left hanging again! :P Please, not too long between this and the next chapter. I'm dying to know!

Anonymous said...

Okay another question,,,if you were a duck, what color would you be?

Cakelaw said...

Congrats on the award! Another cliff hanger - but confessions today - hooray!

Kimberly @ Seriously Daisies said...

Awww, yay for your young love too! It feels soooo good to prove people who doubted you wrong!!!

Congrats on your award!!! :o)

Spring M Fricks said...

Okay, I am hooked on this story like people are hooked on soap operas. It's hilarious. Keep writing my friend!!

Spring M Fricks said...

Rereading my comment, I wanted to clarify that it's hilarious that I'm so hooked on your stories. The story itself is not hilarious, it's frustratingly good. :-)

Anonymous said...

I just love reading your stories! Every single time I'm left wanting more...

And I'm curious. How far in advance are these written? Do you have it all done already and then just post in bits or do you write as you post?

:)

Molly said...

Oh my goodness I am finally caught up and so love love love it! Can't wait for more!