Saturday, January 31, 2009

Tag

Jen at the lovely Tater Tots and Jello tagged me a few days ago. When I realized what picture I would have to reveal, I giggled. So instead of the story I was going to give you today, you get another story instead.

Admit it. You're curious what story you missed. Don't worry--it will be revealed soon!


The rules are:


1) I choose the 4th folder where I store my pictures on the computer.
2. Select the 4th picture in the folder.
3. Explain the picture.
4. Tag 4 people to do the same.
5. No cheating (cropping, editing, etc.)

Here's the fourth picture in my fourth folder:




When Ben and I went to Baylor, we didn't usually go to football games. The whole point of football games is to enjoy a rousing competition, and there was nothing to compete with Baylor. We lost almost every game. By halftime, you were either freezing with purple toes during a cold spell, or more likely sweating with your underwear stuck to your butt. And the Blond Duck doesn't do purple toes or sweaty underwear stuck to her butt. There were very few games in my college experience.



My senior year, my friend Val and her fiance David came up for the Baylor-UT game. I thought they were insane. Not only did they drive an hour and a half to go watch a game where we all knew what was going to happen, but they paid $80 per ticket.



But I'm not a Longhorn, so I suppose I don't understand.

Val and David had just gotten engaged. The plan was to stay until halftime, then Val and I would go shop for wedding dresses and bridesmaid dresses. The boys would watch television and scratch themselves until we returned to pour over more wedding magazines and discuss more wedding details.

As I've said before, I'm not really into weddings.



But, I was Val's maid of honor, so I bucked up and prepared for a day of football and weddings, my two most favorite things ever. It's what a good buddy does.

The game was in November, so I only put a light coating of sunscreen on my face.



When the ladies began to giggle at David's Bridal a few hours later, I couldn't understand why. I thought perhaps my bra was showing or a boob had escaped my corset or maybe my underwear was showing.


It was only when a saleswoman touched my arm to turn me to pin the dress that I realized everything, and I do mean everything, was burned to a crisp.

Blow up the picture if you don't believe me.



Several dresses and wedding magazines later, the bride's fears of a lobster maid of honor had been calmed.

After all, her wedding wasn't until next September.

So Invisible Friends, it's like that old Baz Luhrman song says: "If I could offer you any tip for the future, wear sunscreen."

Tag.

You're it!:

  1. Amanda at Amanda's Cooking
  2. Debbie at Friday Friends
  3. Pearl at Fresh and Pure
  4. Pam at For the Love of Cooking

Stay tuned, Invisible Friends! Tomorrow, the Rubber Chicken finally searches for his long lost love....And we have a week full of whimsical goodness coming up!

33 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Great tag Duckie! That looks quite painful! I don't do spectator sports either, although I do have to say they are a lot more fun to watch in person than on the telly! My parents watched Hockey Night in Canada every Saturday night the whole time I was growing up, and when the play offs were on, well . . . it took over our lives completely! I, myself prefer to watch cooking shows. Ok, so I am a sucker for figure skating, but that's a girl thing! Love ya to bits! XXOO Happy Saturday to all at the pond!

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Lol! Is the lobster maid of honor going to rubber chicken's wedding (if there is a wedding???)

I love your blog sooo much..It always gives me big warm fuzzies:)

Hugs and smoochies!
dawn

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Yup, IU'm wondering what story I didn't get!
~ingrid

Anonymous said...

Cool!

Anonymous said...

Y'all are so cute!

Jane said...

Happy Birthday to Bitty and Bear. I hope they were thoroughly spoilt for the day. Jane x

Pearl said...

omgod! SO cute! when i first saw the pic of you in the bridesmaid dress, i noticed that you had tan marks. but it wasn't until i clicked on the picture did i realize that you were: RED. and then WHITE. (not really white, but u know what i mean - NORMAL color!)

LOL but u know what? you still have the biggest, brightest, sweetest smile even when you're sunburned.

when i'm sunburned, i'm kind of grimacing and staring at the camera. (with my mother yelling at me in the background, telling me about how i'm going to get SOOOO dark and how asian girls SHOULDN'T get dark and especially since i'm from taiwan and don't you want white skin? everyone there bleaches their skin and is going to ask you why you're SOOO dark as if you're working the rice fields...)

ahem..

<3

Debbie said...

Oh, I hate a crispy weekend like that.

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

Aww...I feel for you with the sunburn! I have to deal with that a lot since my skin is so fair. I once drove all the way to Columbus (3 hours away) with my window down. My left arm ONLY was burnt to a crisp! I was going down there to spend a fun weekend with an old friend, but I was so embarrassed to go anywhere with my 2-toned body! haha. This post made me laugh :-)

Queenie Jeannie said...

Loved it! Thanks for sharing!!!

And owie!!! That sunburn looks so painful!

Artfulife said...

So fun! The whole lobster comment makes me think of the movie, "My best Friends Wedding". Love that movie.

Reeni said...

Ouch!! You still look pretty!!

Unknown said...

You are sooooo funny. Love your story.

Anonymous said...

When people see your smile, they forget all about the lobster red!

Jenni said...

Whoops! LOL! You did get a nice shade of red going there!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Thanks for playing Duckie! I love that story. You look beautiful no matter what!

Is everyone still celebrating at the pond? Have fun!

XOXOXOXOXO
Jen

Pietro Brosio said...

Beautiful and joyful pictures!

Ashley said...

Congrats!! You WON!!

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I had a very similar experience driving TO a wedding in a convertible and ending up attending said wedding with a pale stripe across my chest where the seatbelt had been. Whoops. Great story :)

Debbie said...

This is so funny!! Thank you. You have a great story...
I'll be posting mine soon.

Debbie said...

I love your stories!!! Just saw the post on your chihuahua's...soooo cute! I have 2 and I just finished posting about one of them....they are the cutest dogs!

Ashley said...

Hey there!! Congrats again!! Let me know what colors you want and what you want it to say!! I love the dogs!! Im a huge dog lover too!!

Maria said...

Great post like always! Red is always in right?

Nicole said...

That's a great story! So funny!

Cakelaw said...

LOL - a great post!

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

Oh, ouch!!!! I'm not into football either. When I was going to FSU I used to go to the home games...just because it was something free to do :-) Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

Scrappy Girl said...

I was in a wedding a month after getting my back burned in the Bahamas...the bride insisted our hair STILL be twisted into french twists. Argh...I don't have one photo of that wedding...and I don't regret it either!

Pam said...

What a fun story and tag. I have to wear sunscreen all the time becasue I burn so easily.

Thanks for passing on the tag to me.

Anonymous said...

Always such an excellent story teller. And it's good to know I'm in such good company with the not wanting my drawers to stick to my butt. I know I've had those sunburn days, too -- but it's more about having a lobster face. You're such a good friend, you are.

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom said...

{{giggles}} too funny! What a great friend you are, your two favorite things in one day... ;) My maid of honor tore her ACL a few months before my wedding and had surgery - when she called to tell me, the first thing she said was, "I'll be able to walk in time for your wedding!" It cracked me up, as if that was what I was worried about!

tiarastantrums said...

do you even know how gorgeous you are???

Sophie said...

OMG!!! Small world! This is ridiculous--I know Val, she's a friend of mine, we went to school together! LOL I was like...wait a minute, I know that girl grinning in the picture! She just had the cutest baby! :D Very very small world!