Wednesday, January 07, 2009

A dance from long ago

A few days ago I realized that new Twirl enthusiasts (the three that are out there) had no idea how to catch up and read old twirls. I have two solutions for you:

1) Check out the Dancing and Dance categories and read all the old entries. This weekend I'm going to figure out how to get this on the sidebar, I swear. I'm in the middle of a vast redesign/organization project. It'll be awesome. Eventually.

I don't like organizing.

2) I can e-mail you the text so far. Just drop me a line!

And for the previous Twirl, go here. For the one before that, go here.

Shall we find out what's in the mysterious envelope that was hidden in the dance hall wall?

Yes, lets.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leaping onto the horse, Vivi and Wade discussed what was in the envelope the entire way back to the car.

"Money!" Vivi shouted over the horses' hooves.

Wade tapped the envelope and shook his head. "Too light!" he said. "Maybe it's a will."

"No, it's definitely too light for that," Viv protested. "Plus, it'd be sealed."

Wade nodded, his back flexing as he turned the horse away from a cactus. "Maybe it's movie tickets." Vivi could feel his grin and shook her head.

"A recipe," she added, giggling. "For fried squirrel."

"Directions," Wade added. "To the nearest pharmacy."

"And a magic tonic to make one fall in love with you over stewed toad," Vivi chortled, leaning against his back as she laughed. The horse hurried over the dry brush as her laugh filled the quiet Texas night.

"A map," Wade mused, running his fingers over the envelope. "It's thin enough. And there were plenty of outlaws back in the day. They could have hidden it in the wall so others couldn't find their secret stashes."

Vivi poked his shoulder blades. "You've been watching way too many pirate movies. Why don't you just open it?"

"Because," Wade drawled, slowing down the horse. "That'd be too easy. Besides, we should wait for the sheriff."

"Why?" Vivi asked, waiting for him to lift her off. He set her in the dirt. In the fading sunlight, it looked like crinkles of joy had been etched around his eyes. With a grin, he leaned down and pressed her lips to hers. When he raised his head, he said simply, "It's the right thing to do."

Vivi wondered if arguing with him would win her another kiss. Before she had time to decide, Wade was boarding up the horse and wiping him down. After a quick dinner at a nearby diner, Wade dropped her off by her car. She drove home humming to herself, her thoughts focused on the envelope. Someone went to a lot of trouble to hide a thin envelope in the wall of a old dance hall. It could have been there for more than 100 years.

She wasn't sure if she could wait for tomorrow to find out.

Sliding into the back door, she placed her foot gently on the first stair. She hadn't been home since nine this morning. If she hurried, she could get upstairs before her parents realized she was back and deal with the lecture tomorrow. She stepped up and the stair squeaked in betrayal.

"Vivi!" her father bellowed. "Come into the living room."

Cursing, Vivi placed her dance bag at the foot of the stairs. Smoothing back her frazzled curls, she hoped she looked pleasant. She stepped into the living room and stared at her father. His sallow face was twisted into a scowl, his inky hair plastered to his forehead. The purple circles under his eyes had grown saggy over the past few years, and the dark goatee on his chin was peppered with grey. Vivi's eyes slid to the wall, where her father was immortalized at the height of his youth. His black eyes bore into the camera, his arrogant smile etched into the photo for all of time.

Until that moment, she had never realized it was a shot of the Lover's Dance. The dance Mrs. Angelson wanted her to do with Damien. It was like she had stepped from a dream. All the worry of Mrs. Angelson's favor, Damien, her father, her school--even how she saw herself came flooding back. The comfort and calm she had felt with Wade was gone. She felt drained, her eyes sinking to her cheeks.

"Vivienne!" She snapped back to attention. "Are you listening to me?"

"Yes," she lied. Her father's eyes narrowed and he stood, stepping towards her in one graceful movement. Once a dancer, always a dancer, she thought bitterly.

"Then you agree?"

Vivi said nothing. She held his gaze, her jaw tight. He snickered. "Just as I thought. You were not listening at all."

Vivi stayed quiet as he circled around her, hurling his words in short jabs.

"Vivienne, Mrs. Angelson called this afternoon. She is concerned about your performance. And your dance teacher at school e-mailed me the other day and said you had been off in practice." Vivi opened her mouth. Her father shot her a look and she closed it. "I don't care about your excuses. I don't care if it's drinking or drugs or even a boy. As long as you don't get pregnant or too deep into anything, I'm not concerned." Vivi's eyes widened as he continued.

"What I am concerned about is your dancing. When you were little, you had a place etched for you in the dance world. But when I"-- His face tightened and he shook his head. "However, things have changed. You will have to fight harder than I ever did." Her father's jaw tightened. "And you are better than I ever was. Mrs. Angelson can take you far. But you must work harder. From now on, you are to focus on your dance only. I will e-mail your teachers and hire a tutor for the house. You can return to school for finals only. Right now, dancing is all that matters. We must prepare you to audition for New York, Europe."

Vivi felt like her throat had been scraped dry. "What about college?"

"College?" her father roared. His pale skin flared into purple and red splotches. "For what? You have a talent, Vivi. A gift. Why would you throw that away? You can attend college after your knees are shot and your feet twisted. You know a dancer has a small amount of time. You're already much later than I wanted."

"But what if I'm good at something other than dancing?" Vivi argued, clenching her fist. Whether it was the fatigue or a fluke, she felt strength she had never known while facing her father. For once she wasn't afraid or worried. In fact, the only thing she really cared about at this moment was what was in the envelope.

"You're a dancer," her father hissed, poking a long bony finger in his chest. "You will always be a dancer. I don't want to hear anything else about it." Grabbing her chin in his hands, he glared at her. "We have a meeting tomorrow morning at 10 with Mrs. Angelson. Then you will practice the rest of the day in my studio. There is much to do."

"I have plans tomorrow," Vivi protested. There was no way she would miss dinner at Wade's grandfather's house and visiting the sheriff. She had to know what was in that envelope. It was driving her crazy.

"Cancel them," her father commanded. "There's a lot you must learn." Taking Vivi's silence for acceptance, he whirled around and disappeared into the back of the house.

Vivi stared after him, her eyes burning a hole in his back. Gritting her teeth, she grabbed her dance bag and barreled up the stairs.

She wasn't too concerned about meeting Mrs. Angelson or what she had been telling her father. Because she wouldn't be at that meeting.

In fact, she wouldn't be here tonight.

To be continued.....

Stay tuned, Invisible Friends! Tomorrow we have a second edition of the New cookbook Series, BBQ Chicken and Baked Beans. Friday we have an interview with the Cookie Stealing Bunny and a Candy Animals on Saturday. And of course, we find out what's in the flower that Samantha received!

41 comments:

Calamity Cookie said...

Noooo, don't leave it there!!!

I would have looked in that envelope straight away. What an exciting mystery.

!llegally blonde said...

Hi! Thanks for dropping by girl! I'm looking forward to getting to know you better :) Hope you don't mind, but I added your blog to my following list :D

natalia said...

Ciao ! I'm waiting !

Dee said...

The suspense is killing me :)

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I am in a constant state of hanging. Another fantastic installment!

Prudy said...

Hooray-so glad you had a story for me this morning. I still haven't had my hands on your book yet, since my daughter is reading it TWICE without relinquishing it! Hopefully I'll get it before she starts on her third time. If you could hear her laughing in her bedroom! Last night she was busting up over something about cheese and a mouse and fatty??? Anyway, she's loving it!

3 Bay B Chicks said...

An offer to receive the text in e-mail and read Twirl in all of its full glory? Sign me up, Blonde Duck. You just made me Wednesday!

Also, what is this that Prudy is referring to? You have a book? Did I miss something in your sidebar? I will have to check. :)

-Francesca

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Hey, you didn't tell us what's in the envelope! I wish I could justify her father's behavior but alas I can't. He reall is being an insensitive jerk!
~ingrid

Cathy said...

I'm really, really not liking Daddy. I see him being played by Alan Rickman. Looking forward to the next installment!

Maria said...

I really can't take this suspense!

Kristina P. said...

Why must you do this to us?!?!

Unknown said...

Me thinks Vivi's father is just a tad obsessive. And yes, I've know a few people just like him.

Marie Rayner said...

Yes, I agree with Cathy, when this gets to the big screen Alan Rickman must absolutely play Daddy . . . but who can be Wade??? Colin Firth is too old...sigh...besides Wade is much better than Mr Darcy. Loved this latest installment and I can't wait to see what's in the envelope either!! You are brilliant Duckie! Just Brilliant!!

wenderful said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I know my sister Tatertots and Jello loves to read you. I'll have to go back to the beginning of your story and start.
Have a great day!

Marjie said...

It's another great installment. I can always count on you for amusement!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Oh, I love Wade! And her dad is mean! Who do you envision Wade to be - so I can visualize him?

Love it!!!!

Jen

Reeni said...

All I care about at this moment is what's in that envelope!!!!! I can't believe they didn't look!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What's in the DARN envelope?

Jane said...

In the tradition of all the best TV shows you leave us hanging - again! I had to laugh at the idea of Alan Rickman as Viv's father so could Wade be Rupert Grint? or Zack Effron (John Wayne would have been perfect for the part in the 50's)? how about Vanessa Hudgens for Viv. Jane x

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Dad's a jerk.

Wow, you have me all emotionally invovled now!

Pam said...

Dancing is his dream not hers...I hope he realizes this before he loses her forever.

What's in the envelope????

Call Me Cate said...

Fun blog. Thanks for stopping by mine!

Diana said...

Do you think you could e-mail me the text for Twirl? I'd love to get all caught up! :)

If you don't mind, you can send it to this e-mail address -- ieatcupcakes@gmail.com.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Oh Ms Duckie...you know how much I love this story! and your writing, sucking the reader in...meaning ME... is tremendous! But you know...you are too slow writing here Girl! When I find a good story to read, I want to read it ALL in ONE day!
This is agonizing!!! ...smiling..

Michelle said...

I would have snatched that envelope out of his hand and ripped it open. I am TERRIBLE with patience! Ha!

Debbie said...

I didn't know anything about a book either. I need more info.

Chef E said...

The envelope please... and also how can we get our hands on the book, I have so many nieces and nephews that would love it!

Bobbi Jo Nichols said...

Hanging on sweet Blonde Duck. I love your new profile picture!
I too like Billy Blanks.I have a lot of different ones I am trying out now. Taking suggestions! I don't know about Amy Bento. I am not a lean little thing like you are so I am easing into the exercise till I can drop some weight for my knees sake. he he
Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Anonymous said...

you always put me over the edge of suspense...grrrrr...

Shell in your Pocket said...

BBQ chicken and baked beans..sounds good here!
-sandy toe

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

YES! Alan Rickman. Definitely. If old Cedric what's his face can become Edward Cullen, Snape can be Vivi's father. Yes. I can see it now. I look forward to looking YOU up in the imdb one day, duckie. Keep twirling!

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...

Great story!

MMMmmmmmBBQ chicken and baked beans....

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I think you will like the Inkheart series.

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You need to move to Hollywood. There's a career waiting for you there.

Anonymous said...

Ooh I can't believe she didn't look in the envelope-what great restraint!

Paula said...

Oh please, by all that's holy, tell what's in the envelope!!!! Must know, must know, must know ....

Lilly said...

I think a Hollywood career is calling too - cant you please tell us whats in the envelope!!

Love your new profile pic too!!

Tatersmama said...

And I'm left hanging again? This is so, so cruel!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and please come back anytime. :o)

Elizabeth said...

:) Always leaving us hanging! :)

Melissa Miller said...

Thanks for the delicious looking recipes. I had to crack up at you eating the barbecue at the restaurant. Good one!

Thanks for the kind compliment about interior design. Awwww...You seriously made my day.
It is a dream of mine.

Have a wonderful day.
~Melissa :)

Spring M Fricks said...

Oh, so good. I can't wait.