Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Candy Animals and the Mysterious Drawer



Before we read about the candy animals' newest adventure, I have an award to share!

Ashley at Domestic Fashionista was kind enough to give me the fabulous Friends award.

The award states:

"These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers. Deliver this award to eight bloggers who must choose eight more and include this cleverly-written text into the body of their award."

Since I've had the pleasure of meeting so many lovely new friends lately, I decided to honor both the old and new Invisible Friends.

1) Jen at Tater Tots and Jello, for her never ending support

2) Diana, a fellow blond and fabulous fellow food-lover.

3) Prudy. I love Prudy.

4) Spring Fricks, because we writers got to stick together.

5) Molly at Less of a Marilyn, More of a Jackie. She's just too cute.

6) My good buddy Kristen.

7) Silvia at Magnolia Wedding Planner, who always seems so thrilled to stop by the Pond. It just tickles my toes.

8) And last but not least, Leslie at Stethoscopes and Stilettos. She makes fashion and nursing look good.

Thanks so much Ashley!

And now, for an adventure.

To read the previous edition of Candy Animals, go here. And here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was early morning when Callie crept into her grandmother's dining room. The sun was barely peeking through the shades, and her grandparents were fast asleep. Tomorrow would be the end of winter break, and Callie would be back in her own house. Instead of spending days frolicking in the yard she would be carting books around and listening to teachers who didn't want to be there either drone on and on.

But for this morning, she had her kitchen.

Callie ran her hands over the tiny wooden stove and play refrigerator her grandmother had made for her. Biting her tongue, she wrapped her hands around the play oven door. It had been awhile, she thought to herself. But maybe...just maybe...they would be there. Excitement buzzed in her chest as she cracked the door open, peeking into the dark cavern.

There was nothing. The animals weren't there. Callie let out a sigh. She stared into the darkness for another moment, then closed the oven door.

Callie bit her lip and slid on her play apron. "It's ok," she said softly to herself. "I'm sure they're busy. I'll just make some cookies until Grandma gets up." She opened the play refrigerator and pulled some old tupperware her grandmother had given her to play with.

"I'll make glitter sprinkle cookies," she said to herself, cracking open the play freezer. "I need ice cream and honey and sugar to roll it all in...." Reaching in the freezer, her hand touched something soft. She gasped and took a step back. Pink bubbles streamed from the freezer door.

The animals were all beaming at her.

"Hello!" Bubbles the baby blue candy elephant beamed as pink bubbles billowed from his trunk in a steady flow. "We wondered when you would let us out!"

"It's been ages," whined a caramel giraffe known as George Hambleton Leafton the Third.

"Oh stop," Sasperilla, the pink hippo with an attitude scolded. "You're just a big baby. The freezer animals were quite kind to us. We had a wonderful Fall Freezer Party."

"We stayed until winter!" George Hambleton Leafton the Third bellowed. "We have overstayed by three months!"

"We went to the Thanksgiving party and the Christmas party and the Post Christmas party and the New Year's party and the New Year's Day party and the Post New Year's Party and the Winter Party," Bubbles informed Callie. "You missed quite a lot!"

"It sounds like it," Callie replied. "So what will you all do now?"

The animals looked at each other and shrugged. They looked at Callie. "What are you doing?" Bubbles asked.

"I'm going to make glitter sprinkle cookies," Callie replied. "I'll give them to my grandmother for breakfast."

"What's in them?" Sasperilla asked.

"Glitter and sparkles and peanut butter and ice cream and chocolate chips and icing," Callie replied. "I've got everything here," she said, gesturing to the empty play refrigerator. "Want to help?"

"I'd prefer to eat them," Bubbles giggled. A pink bubble floated into the air, landing on Callie's nose.

"With cookies as lovely as those, we must set the table," George Hambleton Leafton the Third informed Callie, peering up at her with his long caramel neck. "Where does your grandmother keep her most elegant dishes?"

"In that drawer," Callie said, pointing to a old oak hutch against the dining room wall. "The bottom one. You can set the table while I make the cookies."

"I'll help make cookies," Bubble said with a gleam in his eye. He licked his lips. Another bubble popped from his trunk.

"I'll watch," Sasperilla decided, daintily perching on the edge of the kitchen counter.

As Callie pulled out the old blackened baking pans her mother had given her and a bottle of glitter, the caramel giraffe scurried over to the drawer. Looping his long neck through the handle, he grunted as it slid open with out a sound. Hoisting himself up on the wooden edge, he peered into the drawer.

"You wouldn't believe what's in here!" he cried. "Come see!"

Part two to be continued next week.

Stay tuned, Invisible Friends! We have a special edition of the Gift tomorrow and a new week of whimsical fun. Also, we have a special Blond Duck confessions post coming up. Anything you want to know about me? Whether you want to know what I do for a living or what my deepest secret is, I'll confess all next week! Leave your questions below! And stay tuned!

27 comments:

Spring M Fricks said...

Oh how fun! Thanks for the award. Now I'll have to pass it on. :-)

Okay, I have to go catch up on this story. I'm behind on this one.

Heather said...

congrats on your award! i agree, you are definitely exceedingly charming :D

Pearl said...

congrats on your award! without a doubt, you deserve it :)

love your stories!

Pearl said...

congrats on your award! without a doubt, you deserve it :)

love your stories!

Belinda said...

This is my first time reading your blog, and it is just a delight! I love your sweet, magical story about the animals partying in the freezer and then making cookies...and I love the recipe a few posts down for barbecue chicken! :-) I will visit again!

Kristina P. said...

Congrats on your award! Your blog is delightful.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for your getting an award! *chuckle* glitter sprinkles cookies for breakfast...I'd like that a lot!

Whitney said...

Thanks for popping by my blog!

I love how open you are about your writing. I love to write, but I play it pretty close to my chest, so I really admire how open you are about it.

How many stories do you work on at a time? How many do you post on your blog? What magazine do you work for?

And I love the cookie stealing bunny. Very nice!

Reeni said...

Congrats on your award! What a cute story, I wonder what could be in that drawer...

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

Congratulations! I love bloggy land. Its so very rewarding. Your story is so whimsical and fun! Nice to meet you!
Sonya

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Hi Duckie!

Thanks for the award. You are so sweet. And such a wonderful friend! I loved the story -- so cute.

I hope you have a great weekend with your cute husband and furry friends!

XOXOXOXOXOX
Jen

Grace said...

Congrats on your award! Thanks for passing it on to me!

The W.O.W. factor! said...

oooo...what's in the drawer?
Congrats Ms Duckie...you are so amazing you deserve all you receive and then some!
(what's happening with B-D Publishing these days?)

Grammy Staffy said...

Congrats to you for getting this nice award. Congrats also to all of those who you passed it out to.

Aren't blog friends great!!

Have a good Sunday tomorrow my creative blogging friend.
(((hugs))) Grammy

Molly said...

Congratulations! Thank you for the award, I'm so excited I found your blog!

AndreaLeigh said...

congrats on your award!

on a different topic, someone read your question on my blog - about if the swap was for us or our chis - and wants to do a chihhuahu treat and toy swap. i'm thinking about it!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your award and I'm sure there are many more to come! This new story is so cute :)

Marie Rayner said...

Congrats on the award Duckie. Well deserved and another cliff hanger!!! I can't wait to see what's in the drawer!
Questions:

Do you dream in colour?
How old were you when you wrote your first story and what was it about?
If you could have a dinner party and invite anyone you wanted, living now or an historic character, who would you invite?
When can you come over to visit me?

Anonymous said...

Wait...what's in there?

I know you've received this before but you deserve one from me so I have a gift for you here

Jeanne Estridge said...

You're too young to remember this, but back in the 60's there was a really pretty actress named Joey Heatherton. She was very blond, like you, and wore her hair cut short in a sort of shag (is that still a term people recognize?) I always thought she looked like a baby duck and every time I see your blog name (and I see it often, because you're such a sweetie about leaving nice comments for people), it makes me think of her.

(Sorry, sometimes old ladies ramble.)

Heather said...

hah, no i need to do a pony tail and rolled up sleeves to eat, too... and definitely couldn't do it with a snugglie ;) they also kinda look like a teletubbies outfit. they just annoy me! never thought about the cold back! another hole in their marketing efforts! good thing we're both on top of this!

Diana said...

Thank you so much! I'm so touched that you thought of me! :) I wish I could e-mail you a giant plate of ribs in return!

Michelle said...

Congratulations on all your awards! You definitely deserve them all. You are one of the most entertaining bloggers I know! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi again! Added to your blog followers.

Daddy's Boo Portraits said...

You have a cool blog, love the recipes. Thanks for stopping by earleir!

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read this article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

Keep on posting such articles. I like to read articles like this. BTW add some pics :)