Monday, January 26, 2009

The Gift 8

Stop!

Did you read the date of the Fuzzy Duck and Rubber Chicken?

Did you read the last edition of the Gift? (If you didn't, read it before today's post or you'll be sorry!)

And what about my sweet tribute to the lunch date?

Ok. You may proceed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samantha peeled her face off Rouge's t-shirt and smiled as he pounded her on the back in the most enthusiastic bear hug she'd ever received.

"It's so good to see you!" he cried, stepping back to beam down at her. "Aye, it's been too long Samantha!"

"Hey, that's my girlfriend you're hugging!" Jeremy bellowed, thrashing around in the doorway. "Back off, Irish boy!"

"Oh, shut up," Ashley groaned, stepping on his foot with her high-heeled boot as she hurried toward Rouge. Jeremy howled as she smiled at Rouge. "Remember me, handsome?"

"Ashley!" Rouge cried, releasing Samantha to embrace Ashley. "My other partner in crime! It's like Christmas, it is!" He turned toward Cleo and bowed his head. "And who is this other fine lady with you?" He winked at Cleo and she blushed, holding out her hand.

"I'm Cleo," she simpered, biting her lip as Rouge raised her hand to his lips. "I'm a friend of Samantha's from grad school."

"You're in grad school?" Rouge whirled around and stared at Samantha. "I always knew you were brilliant, darling. What are you studying?"

"Psychology," Samantha said with a grin. "You know I always like studying people. I want to be a family therapist. I'm fascinated by the dynamics of relationships."

"If she was only better at studying her own relationships," Ashley muttered, jerking her head towards Jeremy. "Or lack thereof."

Rouge burst into laughter as Samantha shrieked and started toward Ashley. "Girls, come in and have a drink on me," he said, his voice rising and falling in a thick Irish cadence. He steered the three girls through the pub doors. "If you're up to it, there's a drink for you at the bar," he addressed Jeremy, his lips twitching in a grin. "If you're done howling like a banshee and all that."

Jeremy snarled, but pulled himself upright and limped inside. He plopped down at the end of the bar away from Samantha and her friends, shooting wounded glances their way as he nursed a beer. The girls ignored them. Their attention was solely on Rouge, who was handing them platters of Shepard's pie and fish and chips with thick mugs of Irish beer.

"So I suppose you're wondering where I went," he said to Samantha, his eyes twinkling.

"Duh!" she exclaimed. "I tried to find you for years. It was like you just disappeared off the face of the Earth. What happened?"

"Well, my great aunt left me a fortune in her will when she died," he explained. Leaning over the bar, golden candlelight flickered across his impish features as a grin spread over his face. "When I traveled over there to receive the fortune, I found the will had certain obligations that came with it. For two or three years, I had loose ends to tie up with family business before the fortune could become mine. As soon as I finished the last task, I was back on a plane to America."

"Why didn't you call me?" Samantha asked. "Why wouldn't you tell me any of this?"

"It was a complicated situation," Rouge admitted. "Plus, I was in the middle of the Irish countryside. Post was the only way of communication. It was as though I'd gone back 100 years in time. I never expected it to take so long. By the time I came back, I had no idea how to contact you. Your parents had moved and no one from our old school knew where you had gone."

"Why a bar?" Cleo asked. "Why didn't you finish college?"

Rouge's eyes twinkled. "It was my dream," he murmured, his rich accent sending shivers down Samantha's spine. "It was the last part of the puzzle that had to be completed. I wanted to make my grand dad proud, you know? So I came back here, found this property and spent two years getting this set up. I wanted it to be a proper Irish pub."

Rouge leaned forward, running his thumb under Samantha's chin. "I never forgot about you," he said earnestly. "I never stopped thinking of you. And there is so much to tell you"--

"Sir?" A waitress approached Rouge with a hesitant smile. "We're having a bit of a problem in the kitchen."

Rouge groaned and flashed a smile at the girls. "I'll be back," he promised. "Excuse me." He winked at Samantha and disappeared into the kitchen. Samantha heard clangs and clashes of metal and winced.

"He's so crazy about you," Ashley announced.

"Totally," Cleo agreed.

"You guys are crazy," Samantha argued. She pulled a fork out of her napkin to dig into the fish and chips. "We're just friends."

A hand tapped her shoulder, and she turned around. A man with dark hair and light, grey eyes stood behind her. He was dressed in all black and holding a electric blue drink.

"A gift," he said, bowing as he handed her the glass. "He wanted you to have this."

"Who?" Ashley demanded.

"Rouge, of course," Samantha said as she accepted the glass. She smiled and thanked the man. Raising the glass to her lips, she took a tentative sip of the electric blue liquid. The sweet cold liquid jolted across her teeth and down her throat, her entire system tingling.

And then the world went white.

To be continued....

Stay tuned, Invisible Friends! Tomorrow we have the wedding story you've all been waiting for! Then we have a new Twirl, a tasty classic Pond recipe and the Babies' birthday! Plus, can the Rubber Chicken find the Fuzzy Duck? Stay tuned to find out!

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it!



(You may proceed...too funny!)

Belle said...

You may proceed..
I love it too much.
I want it.
And the Duck
and the Dogs

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I loved the lunch date...you made my eye sockets well up in a happy way.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Guh..bluh..goo...I am a blubbering idiot now that I've heard an Irish accent first thing in the morning...romantic sigh.....

Rouge is my new lov-ah...

I am all bubbly inside now....

Mary Bergfeld said...

I'm staying tuned, but I have to tell you my money is on the Rubber Chicken!

Ashley said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog!! Your background is so bright and adorable!! I love it!!

Crazee Juls said...

hi, I'm intrigued..I'll definitely be back to read more.... Thanks for stopping by my blog sits(ta)!

Kristina P. said...

So, when are you going to be published?

Maria said...

I am glad I was able to proceed:)

Julie said...

you may proceed... love it
and yes please send our whole family a bubble. We will gladly accept!

Marjie said...

Would you really drink something that was electric blue? It doesn't seem like that falls within the established food rules...

Spring M Fricks said...

What....the world went white? And now I have to wait. Ugh.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Thanks for stopping by...next time bring Rogue...

oh, and I always feel dirty when I walk the Bratz "ho" gauntlet in the toy aisle..yuck!

Reeni said...

I am loving this story, such mystery!!

Pam said...

What was in that drink? I am totally digging Rogue - how can you not with a name like that.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Oooh. First it's magic gifts and now it's mysterious mickies! Please fill us in on this little trip.

Grammy Staffy said...

What do you mean the world went white??? What has happened to Ashley and who sent her the drink??

Surely Rouge would not do such a thing...would he???

Guess what... I am going to get to spend a week with Marie when she comes to the states in Feb. Isn't that great. I will pick her up at the airport and take her to see her daughter compete in Idaho. I can hardly wait. Wish I could meet you too.... If I were left a fortune my great aunt in Ireland I would travel all over the world meeting all of my blog friends.

Have a good day. Hugs, Lura

Diana said...

Uh oh! Hopefully "the world went white" is a good thing!

Grace said...

Thanks for your comment! You did fix it! I'm really not missing him today! :)

Megan said...

Oh, the suspence! I love it.
E-mail me your address. I'll send you a box of Malt O Meal!!!

Megan said...

Oh, the suspence! I love it.
E-mail me your address. I'll send you a box of Malt O Meal!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! What's in the drink? And the world went white? Eeek! Don't keep us waiting! :P

Heather said...

this is getting good!! excited to see the next segment!!

Jan said...

Don't leave it too long before you put me out of my misery. :-)
Enquiring minds need to know.

Anonymous said...

Did you know I make up voices in my head for your characters? LOL

Anonymous said...

I know! Jeremy poisoned her! No, really, please tell us soon what really happened!! ;)

Bunny said...

This is a good one Miranda, I had to go back and read 6 and 7 to catch up. We got a furry baby over the weekend and she's been keeping me busy!

Anonymous said...

waiting for the conclusion

-FringeGirl

Anonymous said...

proceed - fabulous

having fun reading this

Elizabeth said...

Another great "story-ette" :)

Dee said...

You really are talented!

Cynthia's Blog said...

Cannot wait until you proceed to the next part.

Marie Reed said...

Will stay tuned.. I'm a sucker for a good wedding story!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed that, you are a fabulous writer! Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday and leaving a comment. :)

Lore said...

I actually read that with an Irish accent lol! Will that white page we call world ;) be filled with another great episode soon? I sure hope so!

Marie Rayner said...

Oh gosh!! I don't know whether to be afraid for her, or excited!!! This is a wonderful story Duckie! You really are the master story teller. I wish I owned a publishing company as you would be my star author! XXOO