Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A new season

They were everywhere. They floated over the highway and danced in the clouds. They fluttered in the trees and floated over the sidewalk. They were in the Walgreen's parking lot and sunbathing on the flowers in my front yard. No matter where I went or where I looked, all I saw was butterflies for days.

As I walked down the sidewalk, a familiar friend brushed against my cheek.

"Where did they all come from?" I asked immediately.

"We could ask the same about you," he teased, clutching onto the strands of my pale hair. He wove the strands around his tiny hands, fluttering his wings gently.

"Why are they here?" I tried again.

"It is fall." His voice was warm and full of joy. His bright orange and gold wings fluttered against the soft gold of my hair; his fall next to my summer. "It is a new season, a time for new beginnings. You're fresh on a new beginning yourself."

"
How did you know?" My mouth dropped open.

"We always know,"
he reminded me. "But this beginning will be different than all the others."

"Because I only have a year?" I let the words tumble over my tongue. For the first time, I really tasted them. I had a year. Only a year to achieve the goals I set for myself at 19. One tiny year.

The butterfly fluttered his wings as if he sensed my thoughts. "A year is a long time," he said gently. "But it also is only an instant."

"
Tell me about it," I muttered, the fear and uncertainty beginning to freeze my thoughts. "It's just so frustrating," I murmured, letting him slide down my hair and nestle on my neck. "No many how many hours I have, I never can quite get everything done."

"And you never will," the butterfly replied, his voice pure honestly. There were no excuses, no whines or whimpers in his words. "But that is not what is different about this beginning. You're what is different."

"How so?" I asked. I had only been a year older for a day now.

"You are not afraid," he whispered, the words grazing my ear like a silky ribbon. "Even while facing nothing but uncertainty, you know what will happen. You are confident in yourself and your abilities. You are no longer depending on anyone for comfort."

"
I don't know if I'd go that far," I grinned. "I'm still pretty crazy."

The butterfly's antennae twitched. "That will never change," he replied dryly. I giggled, my shoulders bouncing as the butterfly leaped to my neck in alarm.

"So what does it mean?" I asked as we rounded the corner.

"You know what it means," the butterfly said, his tone stern. "It means you're open to options, for possibilities. You no longer have the comfort of never ending stability."

"
And that's bad," I said sharply. "I don't like change. I don't like the idea that everything will be upside down. I don't like the idea of not knowing."

"But that's what makes it so grand," the butterfly whispered, his wings tickling my cheek. "That's what makes this beginning so different."

"
I don't understand." My voice haltered. The butterfly flew to the tip of my nose. His wings opened and closed slowly as he stared into my eyes.

"When one doesn't know the road ahead, one can go anywhere," he replied simply. "And you will. You have the strength to trust yourself now. You have the heart to do it." And with that, he fluttered into the breeze. His orange wings blended in with the dozens of other butterflies, flapping in the bright sky until I could no longer see him. Smiling, I brushed a tree as I passed toward the door. A few leaves tumbled on my shoulder and I caught them in my palm.

It was a new season.

17 comments:

Prudy said...

So beautiful and meaningful. I loved the image that you created with your words. I do feel that excitement of a new beginning this fall. I wish I could hold on to this very instant in time.

Sarah said...

I love the newness of fall too! Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday. I love all the cookbooks you got for your birthday!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Your story describes how I feel with the beginning of fall, the crisp breezes, the deep blue sky, the anticipation of the colors we will soon witness. I read it twice cause it made me feel so jittery!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

You have such an amazing talent Duckie! I am in so in awe of you and the power of your words. Thanks for the inspiration of a new beginning. It is especially significant to me now since my birthday imminent and I feel like this is the beginning of a new chapter in my life. I wish I was turning 24 (LOL) -- oh well! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I love falls beginnings. Just wish it would cool off a little here.

Maria said...

I love the crisp air fall brings! I am getting excited for the new season! Great writing!

Anonymous said...

Good one!

lana

Pam said...

You are an amazing writer! Fall is my favorite season. It does feel like a new beginning each time the seasons change.

Anonymous said...

The imagery...lovely! The writing just lovely...you are amazing and Fall is my favorite time of year.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Holy Cow Woman! That is the best thing I've read in a long time!
I love it! (and it IS about you, I presume....)
Wow!

Marjie said...

Sad. Happy. Hopeful! Another wonderful story!

Lori said...

Ahh Fall. It did just flutter in, didnt it? I am so happy it is here. LOVE this time of year. Squash, pumpkins, soups, chilis, cool weather, sweatshirts, bonfires... all of that and more.

Bunny said...

Beautiful Miranda, as always with your words I can visualize your thoughts as clear as a crisp fall day.

Jane said...

Beautiful piece, Happy Birthday sorry i missed you post. Sounds like you had a wonderful day. Jane x

Marie Rayner said...

You can do it Duckie. Listen to the butterfly. It speaks the truth. We all have faith in you and in your abilities! Just tell yourself each morning . . . today is the first day of the rest of your life! Love you to bits! (I am with Jen, I wish I could be 24 again too!)

Dee said...

We have two seasons in Malaysia - rain and a little less rain. I miss the fall. Especially after reading your post. You have a way with words that makes me catch my breath.

Emily said...

Aww. That was good. I felt like I was in your story.