Thursday, September 25, 2008

Artichoke cheese dip and a little pink dress


Before we start talking about the goodness of cheesy artichoke dip, I have an announcement to make.
Ya'll remember my friend Libby, don't you?




My dear, sweet, favorite buddy Libby who loves sweets and barbecue as much as I do? Well, Libby has a blog now!



And this isn't any blog. It's a blog about a pink dress, a ladies' bet and heading down the road to fabulousness. It's really fun, I promise. I know you'll love her as much as I do!

So go visit her at www.fabulouslittlepinkdress.blogspot.com !

Now, let's talk artichokes. And cheese.



Normally I'm not a fan of artichokes. The whole ripping leaves and dipping in butter to scrape stuff off on your teeth just doesn't appeal to me. If I'm going to go to all that work ripping and scraping, you can bet it will be a barbecued beef rib.

However, I do like artichoke hearts when they are mixed into tasty dishes like this one. I wouldn't eat them straight out of the can, but I love them in a dip.



I know what you're thinking. "Excuse me, Blond Duck, this looks like a big pile of yellow goo. It looks like paste for the side of the house or something."

Looks can be deceiving. This dip is so tasty that I'll use it as a spread on sandwiches or toast. It's dangerously delicious. I ate so much of it on Saturday I thought artichokes would dangle from my ears.

The original recipe is different than the one I used (of course), so I'll add my modifications in pink. It contains spinach and Libby was bringing spinach dip, so I didn't want to double up. The original also includes Romano cheese, which I was too lazy to figure out how to get it out of it's little packaging and grate without a greater.

I never said I was a culinary artist. I just like food.

Without further ado....



Hot artichoke cheese (and spinach) dip

1 (8 oz.) package of cream cheese
1/4 cup of mayo (I dumped in probably half a cup of fat free mayo.)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (Shredded and 1/2 of a Kraft bag of it.)
1/4 cup grated Romano cheese (No grater + lazy Blond Duck+ complicated packaging= no Romano cheese)
1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced (I used garlic powder.)
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
salt and pepper to taste
1 (14 oz.) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (Since I wasn't using spinach, I added an additional 7 oz. can. I might do this even if you use the spinach. I also swirled these up in a blender.)
1/2 cup of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I probably used half a bag of the shredded Kraft stuff. I love cheese.)

1)Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a small baking dish.

2) In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, Romano cheese, mozzarella cheese, garlic salt, pepper. Stir in artichoke hearts and spinach.

3) Top mixture with more mozzarella cheese after transferring to baking dish. (I forgot to top it.) Bake for 25 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned.

(Original recipe from allrecipes.com.)


Enjoy ya'll. And go see Libby!

Tomorrow--a new Land of the Flowered Bed!

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Artichokes and cheese are a great combination. You might want to try braised artichokes as a way to eat them no leave scraping on the teeth for that dish. I can remember my first pink dress and how excited I was to get it.

Maria said...

Great looking dip!! And glad your friend started a blog. I will have to check it out!

Dee said...

*whispers* i've never eaten artichokes. shhh.
libby picked a really great name for her blog :)

Prudy said...

I just bought a little bitty crock pot and it came with a similar recipe. Can't wait to see Libby's blog-right after I read your story....

tavolini said...

I concur with your stance on artichokes. Love the hearts in dips and on pizza, but a whole meal of dipping and scraping? I'd rather not!

Unknown said...

Awesome, I'm going to Libby's blog right now.

The dip does sound yummy!

Unknown said...

BTW, Libby must have her comments turned off. You might want to let her know.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

You can't go wrong with a combination of artichokes and cheese. I'm on my way to check out Libby's blog. I bet Libby knows she had a great friend.

Marjie said...

Hubby loves it when I steam him up some artichokes so he can peel the stuff off with his teeth. I also buy him the canned artichokes - they're so much less work! - and marinate them in Italian dressing overnight. But this sounds great!

Anonymous said...

YUM! I LOVE artichoke dip!! ::running to check out your other blog!::

Debra said...

I have never had artichokes....I just might have to try this.

I will go and check out your friends blog...love making new blog friends.

Esi said...

I love artichoke dips! I bet it tasted great!

Marjie said...

I went to see Libby, and I left here a welcome greeting!

Veronica said...

Your dip looks fabulous and now I'm off to meet Libby!

The W.O.W. factor! said...

I'm not much on artichokes either, but this dip sounds delicious! going to print it ...and hence try it!
Artichokes dangling from your ears?? Take a pix would you?? **wink

Anonymous said...

This type of a dip is one of my all time favorites! I mean, it's not a party unless there's dip.

daphne said...

Yay! Another person who is a fan of ducks. =)

I didnt know that artichokes and cheese would look so good! I would love to dip into that!

Mary Ann said...

It is always fun when good friends start blogging! I think the dip looks great, but I agree that some things just don't look as good as they taste!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Oh, yum! I would overeat that too.

Pam said...

I love a cheesy artichoke dip and yours sound fantastic. I'll definitely check out your friends blog.

Jane said...

I've never tried Artichokes, but at the moment with Em Dairy Free i don't think i'll try your recipe as it wouldn't be fair to Em, though i'm sure it must taste delicious. She loved cheese and can't eat it now as it makes her very ill. off to see your friends blog. Jane x

Marie Rayner said...

Artichokes are hard work in real life. I much prefer opening a tin, or a bottle or even a freezer bag! Your dip looks scrumptious! I make one with mozarella, mustard and shrimp. It's to die for, or so I'm told. I have never tasted it as I am allergic to shrimp! DOH! Doesn't stop me from making it from those who can though! I am off to check out Libby's blog now! You are such a sweet friend to let us know about it! Love you to bits my duckie friend!

Live.Love.Eat said...

I love artichokes & cheese, can't go wrong with this dip! Thanks for sharing!!!!!

tiarastantrums said...

oh, I used to make this all the time - my kids hate it so I stopped - My mouth is watering now!!

Mandy said...

Hey there. I just found your blog and I'm cracking up because I think you cook like I do...make it up as you go and do what feels right. I love it! I will definitely be back.

Mandy

Amanda said...

Sounds delicious! I stopped by your friend's blog but looks like she has comments disabled or I would have posted a hello! :)

Lucy..♥ said...

Love, love artichoke & cheese dip... just put a bowl in front of me!!!

Natalie Que said...

Oh this dip is too much! I love it and want to go hide in a closet and eat the whole thing and hide the evidence!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I want to dip on that dip. I'll sure visit your friend, if she's your friend she must be fun as well!