Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Fall preview

Schools are back in session. Classes have been in session for a few weeks, tests and quizzes are appearing. Yet, in the Pond, there's only three real seasons: Fallish Winter, Spring, and Blazing Hot Death.

Since the Pond is in the Texas Hill Country, we don't get a lot of rain. That's why I spend every day reading (whoops, watering) for thirty minutes outside. I can't say it's helped much.

When I woke today, the room was still dark and grey. The grey clouds hung outside, muting all the vibrant greens and yellows. The air was cool and humid, the smell of rain filled the air. I was exhilarated.

When the rain finally fell, I wanted to go out and twirl in it. Walking to the grocery store, it felt so good to feel tiny sprinkles on my face. My shoulders were wet and slick, my hair was damp and curling. I loved it. Normally, I despise rain. But the Pond was getting low, and we needed rain badly. Besides, I didn't have to water.

As I sat and worked, the rain provided a soft background. Cars swished by, spraying water on cars parked among the streets. The cool air in the house reminded me of fall. The first real rain after school starts always reminds me of fall. I think of bustling classes, stressed teachers and warm comfort dinners. My mom always made fresh banana nut or pumpkin bread. The rich scents would fill the air, letting you know you were finally home.

On my daily trip to the mailbox, I twirled under my umbrella and squished the water around my toes. I splashed through puddles and walked carefully on the wet sidewalk. The rain ran down my bare legs and arms as I hurried back to the front door. Shaking out my wet umbrella, I grinned at the rain coming down.

After an old friend from Waco visiting and my experiment with pumpkin pancakes, it was nice to relax in a warm kitchen. With the scent of pumpkin and spices in the cool humid air, it really felt like fall. I have sudden urges to wear cardigans and break out the dance pants. Tomorrow, it will be back over ninety, and sunny again. The cardigans and dance pants will have to wait for another day. For now, it's still summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I baked peach bread instead of the pumpkin and banana nut. mom