Wednesday, July 02, 2008

A Shining Sun

The sun was bright and hot. But he would persevere. Taking a deep breath, he wrapped the thin silver cord that secured him to his station around him.

He had dreamed of this for ages, he thought, as he climbed higher in the sky. He had dreamed on floating among the stars, dancing in the sun's rays and exploring the skies above. Ever since he had seen the bright white light beaming down at him, he knew that's what he was to do.

He had to reach the sun.

"Others have failed at this," he murmured as he scurried up the thin silver cord. "The Greeks with their wings of wax, the astronauts in their fancy space stations. But I can do this. I know I can."

His eight legs strained as he hurried up the cord. The cord was beginning to thin from the heat. He could feel sweat dripping off his brow.

"I can do this," he repeated, panting as he reached the top of the lamp. "I can be the first one to touch the sun. I can be the first spider astronaut to ever reach the sky."

His eight legs were slick with sweat and he struggled not to slip off his cord. Furrowing his brow, he swung on the silver string and jumped onto the lampshade. Cackling with glee, he scurried up the warm lampshade. His feet were burning and his head was aching from staring at the bright light, but all he felt was joy.

Beaming, he planted a foot on the top of the lampshade. "One small step for me," he whispered, overcome with happiness and fatigue. "One bright sun for all to see."

Everything is relative.

2 comments:

Bunny said...

I love your stories! I have just tagged you for a meme, come to my blog to find out the rules!

Marie Rayner said...

Lovely story once again Duckie! I just adore your little characters and the life you pour into them! You are the best!