Friday, July 18, 2008

The Land of the Flowered Bed goes North

Pumble crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes.

"I'm not going," he announced, plopping on the bag he had packed that morning.

"And why not?" sighed Hairy.

"I've got a million things to do around here!" Pumble objected. "I've got cakes to bake for the Labor Day party"--

"That's in a month," Cookies pointed out.

"I've got all those pies to make for the Flying Pigs"--

"They're still eating the pies you made them last week," Cookies said, pointing to the pigs. They were clutching their bloated bellies and moaning, grass stains still around their lips.

"I promised Ladybug I'd go with her to the cricket concert," Pumble finished triumphantly. "And I've got to buy all new socks."

"You don't wear socks," Hairy reminded him gently, taking his arm. "And the concert is next week."

"I'm far too busy to go North," Pumble argued, grasping onto the wall as Hairy tried to jerk him up. His face turned red as he strained to hold on. "I've got things to do. I'm a busy bee."

"You're a"-- Cookies stopped midsentance, warned by Hairy's glare. "I was just going to say he was fat," he mumbled under his breath.

"Come on, Pumble," Hairy grunted, heaving with all his strength. "The seals and Miss Moose McKinley have already started down the hallway. We've got to catch up with them!"

"I'm BUSY!" Pumble bellowed, digging his fingers into the wall.

"He's too scared," snickered the first duck in the Spa. They were poking their heads out of the bathtub, observing the whole scenario.

"He's a big fat wuss," snickered the second duck.

"If you need more help, I could go with you," the third duck offered.

"That won't be necessary," Hairy smiled. Inside, he was seething. They had a tight travel schedule and Pumble's antics had put them 30 minutes behind. "Pumble, have you had one of the new hamburgers in the hallway?"

"There's no hamburgers in the hallway."

"Sure there is," Cookies piped up, winking at Hairy. "That new place opened up. Their specialty is honey burgers. I'm sure a fellow of your girth could easily down nine or ten at a time."

"Did you say honey burgers?" Drool dripped onto Hairy's arms.

"Any kind of burger you like," Hairy agreed. "And all sorts of tasty fries and biscuits"-- With a shriek of delight, Pumble leaped from the wall, knocking Hairy to the ground. Grabbing his bag, he sprinted out the door.

"Last one there is a rotton egg!" he called as he ran down the hall.

"What are you going to do when he realizes there's no hamburger place?" Cookies muttered.

"Pray that there's one in the Great Open Room," Hairy answered. A howl ahead assured him that Pumble would be pouting once they caught up to them.

A few hours later, they had made it down the hallway, across the living room and were standing at the edge of the Brown Tile River.

"After this, we just have to pass the Front Door and we'll make it onto the Stone Snow Hill," Miss Moose McKinley said dreamily. "And then we'll be in Alaska!"

"Whatever," Pumble grumbled. "Let's just get this over with."

"How are we going to get across?" Hairy asked, staring at the tile. "Is it safe to swim in?"

"This time of year, the river is frozen over," Miss Moose McKinley said. "You can walk across it, see?" She placed a delicate brown hoof on the tile and added her other front foot. Giggling with delight, the seals flew across the river on their bellies. Miss Moose McKinley trotted easily across, while Cookies and Hairy followed slowly behind. Hairy heard a bellow and turned. Pumble was sprawled out on the surface of the brown tile, the contents of his sack scattered across the floor. He glared up at Hairy as he struggled to get to his feet.

"You owe me a hamburger," he snarled. "A honey burger. With biscuits. And fries."

Hairy rolled his eyes.

Finally, they all made it across the tile hallway. Taking a deep breath, Miss Moose McKinley turned to them and smiled.

"Here goes," she whispered. With a turn of her hoof, the Front Door opened slowly. The animals gasped in amazement.

To be continued...

1 comment:

Marie Rayner said...

Waaahhh!!! I am going to have to wait a whole week or more to find out what happens next. Not fair to do this to me when you know I am going away today! Boo Hoo! You meanie! (not really, you are one of the sweetest ladies I know, and I'm proud to call you a friend) Anyways, stories are printed, paints are packed and hopefully this week I shall be making pumble and the others come to life under the tutelage of my paints and brushes. I can't wait! Love you to bits! XXOO