Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Oh, Olgas

Many of my Invisible Friends are wonderful cooks. They can bake, they can create sourdough starters and cakes that look like something off the food network.



I can make rice krispie treats and cookies.



Well, to be truthful I cook dinner almost every night. It's just my cooking tends to be "follow the instructions and pray you don't forget anything important" cooking. Sometimes, I can attempt a new recipe and have it come out wonderfully. Otherwise, I'll omit ingredients due to taste, refusal to buy a $13 bottle of something I can't pronounce or sheer forgetfulness. And then the creation that should have been phenomenal is merely edible.



It happens a lot.




So did I just set aside a piggie bank and hope one day it might be filled with enough to hire a personal chef?



Nope. I tried to recreate Olgas, the flat bread from the restaurant I raved about in a earlier entry (http://aduckinherpond.blogspot.com/2008/05/olgas.html.) Chaos and hilarity ensued.


Cooking buddies, this is for you.







First, I mixed up all the ingredients. Then I greased a bowl and dumped everything in it. I left it alone for about three hours so it could rise.







Then Ben discovered it. And that's when I lost control.





Deciding the stove would be a perfect workplace, he sprinkled flour all over it. The Babies hovered around his feet anxiously, praying that whatever delicious creation he was working with would drop out of his hands and into their mouths.


Then he decided that instead of the instructed eight olgas, he would make nine. He had the audacity to calm them gyros.


They're not gyros. They're olgas. There's honey in the batter. Gyros don't have honey.






Waving off my offers of assistance, he waited impatiently until I wiped off the stove and set about to cooking them in a skillet. Some time later, we had nine delicious Olgas that tasted just like the original.


It took two or three olgas before Ben felt that he had properly tested them. I piled mine with turkey, bacon and cheese, while he preferred to eat them plain. After his third olga, Ben was forced to retire to bed. The rest were shoved in the freezer for his own safety.
I'm just happy I didn't burn them or destroy them in anyway. And I'm delighted I have my childhood olgas back, safely hidden at the bottom of the freezer behind the ice cream.
( I never said I liked to share.)
Next Sunday: Pocket pies!

10 comments:

Lore said...

I've never heard of Olgas before but they sound delicious. Are they like a sweet version of Gyros?

Anonymous said...

I think Ben is a frustrated chef. He almost never cooked at home growing up but now he really just jumps in and creates. I love that you and he share this "creative fun" in the kitchen. (BUT, he must promise to never tenderize filet mignon again! Talk about overkill!!!)

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of them either!! they sound wonderful! see you can do it!!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on just following the directions type cooking. That's mostly what I do -- I've just been doing if for 35 years! If Olgas are what come from chaos and hilarity in your house, sign me up. They sound marvelous. And I'd test at least 4, smacking the entire way. Very nice.

Anonymous said...

Honey, I really hate to burst your bubble but Olga's was gyros. I'm really glad your experment turned out so well and you were able to recapture some of your childhood.

Anonymous said...

I love that you call us your invisible friends. Love it. Nice to meet you.

Prudy said...

I haven't heard of these but they sound so good. Good for you and Ben!

Marie Rayner said...

Way to go Duckie and Ben!!! I am so proud of you. Your Olga/Gyros look fabulous darlings!!! I can almost taste them over here and perhaps one day you can make them for me over here! OH, now that's a dream I want to come true! (((hugs))) From one invisible friend to another . . . I wuv u. XXOO

grace said...

honey-sweetened gyros? i'm hooked! you two need to get into the kitchen more often--this is great! :)

Anonymous said...

Wish I could give you some tips on blog design, but I just use the templates available on WordPress.

Here's what I can tell you:

1. I made my header using Wordle.net
2. Photobucket has a lot of good photos
3. I paid for the design I on my site when I was on Blogger
4. There are sites that you can get Blogger templates from (some of them are even free)
5. I don't know how to code, but there are TONS of people out there who do and would be happy to help you out

Good luck, and thanks for asking me - I'm flattered!