Sunday, July 09, 2006

Irony

Utter Irony. That is what this is. Complete, utter irony. Thursday, I had a long talk with my darling husband. We talked about how my job search isn't going well, and our frustration with the situation. We're both frustrated that I haven't received payment for my former jobs, and that my questions about some things haven't been answered. I'm frustrated that I spend hours a day writing cover letters and filling out applications, only to get one or two replies. I get tons of job offers to write articles for free or for five or ten dollars, but that just doesn't work for me. It's not that I'm a money grubbier, but I think I can go without spending hours for a 1000 word article. I'm also almost done with my book, and I need to start looking for an agent. So, I was really depressed and discouraged about finding a job.

So, I decided I would send in an application to IteachTexas and get certified as a teacher. This wasn't just an out of the blue thing. Since junior year, I'd wanted to teach. I'd done some tutoring in a local middle school, and I adored it. After a discouraging job fair where the representative told me I would never get a job as an alternative certification candidate unless I spoke Spanish or taught math and science, I was frustrated and confused. I had been told by several recruiters to teach English or Journalism with my love for writing and major, but I didn't know if I wanted to teach high school. My husband kept encouraging me to teach younger kids because of my patience and creativity. I was confused. I also thought it'd be fun to work at a museum or get a writing job, which is what I've been trying to do the past month and a half.

So I thought for several hours (that's a long time for me) and decided I would go for it and apply to the program. Coincidently, I ended up talking to my neighbor for three hours about the difference in elementary versus secondary, the different grades, and so on. She's a fourth grade teacher who had done time in secondary, so she gave me a lot of insight. And just when I had it all figured out.....

I got an email from a website job I had applied for and got the freelance position. They want me to write an article ASAP, and the editor called me Saturday to confirm.

Isn't that ironic? Don't you think? Just when I thought I had it all figured out......

But, I've decided I'm going to stick to my original plan of applying for certification and writing on the side. I've realized right now I can't make a living off writing alone, and I'm starting to go crazy from being alone all day. I think I'm too young not to be social. However, these jobs are giving me a chance to get my feet wet. And it will give me a chance to concentrate on finishing my book, which has taken a back seat to the job hunt and these other articles. And it really deserves my attention. Not to mention my poor, patient husband.

So the Blonde Duck may be a teaching duck soon....Not to mention a published author! Let's hope! And any teachers out there with any advice, or any authors, feel free to leave comments! I welcome advice and random thoughts!

No comments: