Friday, May 16, 2008

The Argumentative Birds find a donut

"I'm hungry," the first bird said, sighing as he perched on a branch of a scrawny oak tree.

"Me too," the second bird said.

"Want to fly to McDonald's?" the third bird asked.

"I'm tired of French fries," the first bird sulked.

"How can you be tired of French Fries?" the second bird asked.

"We always like French Fries!" the third bird said, shocked.

The first bird bugged his eyes out and stared at the ground, ignoring their chatter. "Do you see that?" he asked.

"I don't see anything," the second bird said, squinting his eyes.

"Is it a French Fry?" the third bird asked, hopping excitedly and shaking the tree.

"No, bird brain!" the first bird cried. "It's a donut!"

"What's that?" the second bird asked.

"A French Fry?" The third bird still had not given up hope.

"It's a donut," the first bird replied, realizing he had no idea what a donut was. He crept along the branch and stared down at the sidewalk. The other two birds followed his lead. For several minutes, the birds eyed the donut on the sidewalk.

"What do we do with it?" the second bird asked.

"I'm not sure," the first bird admitted. "I think we eat it."

"Do you think it tastes like a French Fry?" the third bird asked. The first bird smacked him with his wing. They stared at the donut.

"Should we go down there?" the first bird asked.

"What if it's dangerous?" the second bird asked.

"I would like a French Fry," the third bird announced. "Or worm. I'm not in the mood to try something new."

"Maybe we should see if it moves first," the first bird said. Squinting their eyes as hard as they could, they watched the donut. The sun glistened off the warm glaze as it baked on the sidewalk in it's shredded plastic wrapper.

"It didn't move," the first bird observed.

"Maybe it's asleep," the second bird said.

"Maybe it's a French Fry," the third bird said.

"Would you shut up about French fries?" the first bird yelled.

"You shut up!" the third bird said.

"I'm not the one blabbering on about French fries!" the first bird shouted.

"Ooh, there's French Fries?" the third bird asked, looking around hopefully. While the birds argued, a squirrel darted onto the sidewalk and dragged the donut away. The second bird wailed in dismay.

"While you morons were arguing, that squire ll stole our donut!" the second bird cried. "Now we have nothing to eat!"

"It's his fault," the first bird sulked.

"It probably didn't taste good anyway," the third bird sneered. The three birds sat on the branch, each glumly staring at the empty spot on the sidewalk. Not even a glazed crumb remained.

"I'm hungry," the first bird said.

"Me too," the second bird said. "What do you want to eat?"

"I want French fries!" the third bird cried.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely delightful. Loved it! One of my favs!

Marie Rayner said...

Duckie, Duckie, Duckie...you never cease to amaze me with your wonderful stories! I love how you are able to get inside all your characters heads and weave a spell around us, your readers!!! I totally adored this! I could sit and read your stuff all day and then some!!! XXOO
PS- I owe you an e-mail! stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

Great story. Danielle and i will tell you about the duck that we shared our lunch with on the river walk Monday. It really reminds me of the french fry eating birds.